Mum!Minerva McGonagall x Reader

Y/n's POV

Waking up to the sound of a cat meowing in my ear I roll over and hide my head under the pillow with a groan as I feel myself starting to fall back asleep only for the damn cat to start pawing at me. Sitting up with a glare I throw my curtains back to see who's damn cat it is but find the room pitch black and everyone else asleep making me look at the damn animal with narrowed eyes only to frown when I see familiar markings, mum's glasses to be specific. Drawing my curtains again I cast a quiet lumos as I reach for my glasses and sure enough there is mum sitting on my bed in her animagus form. "What the hell mum? What time is it?" I ask her quietly and she just meows before jumping off the bed with a tilt of her head, motioning for me to follow her. Quickly grabbing my tartan dressing gown I quietly get out of bed and follow her down to the common room where I expect her to change back but she continues out to the main hallway making me follow her in my bare feet, why hadn't I put my slippers on? "Next time you fancy a late night wander let me know before hand so that I can grab my slippers! Merlin, how have I never realised how cold these floors are before?" I say with a scowl as I follow mum and I swear that I can hear her laughing at me as we stop outside the entrance to Albus' office which is already open. Looking down at mum confused when she rubs against my leg I slowly make my way up the spiral staircase and raise an eyebrow when I see Potter sitting in front of Albus' desk petting Fawkes who flies over to me with a small coo making me smile as I stroke his head. "Hello to you too my dear fireball. What did you do now Potter and how does it involve me?" I ask Potter while removing shedding feathers from Fawkes' wings making the firebird brush his head against my chest affectionately and he jumps up to look at me with wide eyes.

"Nothing! I have done absolutely nothing wrong you little-" Potter snaps at me but before he can finish what he's saying mum transforms back into her normal form with a glare. "Professor McGonagall I-"

"I suggest you stop talking Mister Potter and wait out in the hallway. Professor Dumbledore will be out to talk to you shortly." Mum says curly with a glare and we both watch Potter leave before she turns to me with soft eyes making me raise an eyebrow at her. "Albus wanted to talk to you in private darling. He's in his quarters." She tells me and I pause at that making her sigh as she pulls me into a hug that I happily return.

"What's going on mum?" I ask into her robes and she kisses the top of my head with a sigh as someone rests their hand on my shoulder making me turn my head to see Albus looking at me with a twinkle in his eyes. "Is everything okay? You guys never do this unless something bad's happened. Oh Merlin, what's happened now? Please tell me uncle Malcolm's okay, oh and aunt Poppy!"

"It's your dad sweetheart." Albus says with a sad smile and I tense up at that as said man enters the room behind Albus making me pull away from mum who tries desperately to hold me tight to her. "If you don't want to talk to him then I can have him removed from the grounds and remove him from the wards." He tells me as he squeezes my shoulder but I shake my head as I stare at my father.

"Can you give us a minute to talk before you do anything Albus?" I ask the man that has been more of a dad to me throughout the years and he nods slowly making me smile slightly as I move to hug him tightly. "He won't be staying for long Albus and he won't be taking your place." I tell him quietly and he squeezes me tightly as he kisses the top of my head.

"Go talk to him in my quarters sweetheart, you'll have more privacy in there than you'd have out here." He tells me and I nod into his chest before moving over to my father who follows me into Albus' quarters without saying anything.

"Why are you here?" I ask after the portrait of Arianna swings shut but she stays inside the quarters making me smile at her protectiveness and he just looks at me for a moment. "Oh for the love of Merlin say something! You're obviously here for a reason so tell me what you want and then leave father. It's late, I have classes in the morning and I would very much like to get some more sleep or I may very well end up killing the idiots that are my classmates." I say angrily and he motions for me to sit down making me glare at him.