fourteen

It was a warm, sunny Friday. Janet had been out shopping with Latoya & Mother Katherine at the mall. They went out to eat at a nice soul food spot and were now on their way back to their mothers home. It'd been two weeks since she left the house. She hated she had been gone so long, she craved Taraji in the worst way. But she knew had she tolerated anymore of Taraji's blow ups, she'd probably burn the house down. She didn't bother to contact Taraji heavily, just small texts to check in. She didn't want to call because calling meant she had to talk, and talking meant Taraji would try to convince her to come home.

The first three days were hell for Taraji. She couldn't eat, sleep, nor could she get out of bed. She cried, screamed, and even punched a hole in the wall that her uncle was now currently fixing. She knew if Janet saw it, she'd raise hell. She missed Janet like a child missing their mother. She didn't know how to function without her better half. She deeply regretted how she treated Janet, wishing she could go back and warn herself what would happen. She wanted to call Janet so bad but she knew her girlfriend probably wouldn't answer. She was lucky to get occasional check in texts from time to time so she kept it at that.

Today, Taraji was feeling much better. She'd cleaned the whole house, and even went for a jog. She visited her mother's grave with her sister, they cried and laughed while reminiscing together. Her sister talked her through her hard time of not being around her lover. She decided that today was the day she'd have a talk with Janet. She wanted her future wife back so bad. She was sitting on the couch in the living room staring at the contact.

"Ugh, what if she doesn't answer!?" She groaned to herself, thinking out loud.

"What if she says she doesn't want to come back? What if she hates me? Omg, what if she doesn't want to be with me anymore???" She sighed, shaking her head. She knew she was being ridiculous in this moment.

"She doesn't hate you T, get it together and just call her." She argued with herself. After taking several deep breaths, she pressed the call icon. The phone rang more than normal, which scared her. Before she decided to hang up, the sweet soft voice of her significant other came through.

"Hello?" Taraji was quiet, she didn't necessarily have a plan for if Janet answered.

"Umm.. I- Hi." Was all she could spit out. It was almost as if she was on the phone with her crush.

"Hi baby, are you okay?" Taraji smiled.

"You called me baby, so you don't hate me?" She asked softly.

"Hate you? Why would I hate you, honey?" The pet names were making T's heart leap for joy. Janet didn't hate her after all, she just worked herself up for nothing.

"Because of what I did and said to you. Baby, I'm so sorry, I really miss you and Eissa. Please come home so we can talk?" She asked cautiously. There was a brief moment of silence.

"I'll be there in an hour, I'm with mother and Toya right now. Is that okay?" Taraji let out a breath she didn't know she was holding.

"Yes! I- I mean... yes, yes that's okay." Janet chuckled, sweet music to her lovers ears.

"Alright, I'll see you in a bit baby. I love you."

"I love you more."

After ending the call, Taraji began to run around the living room table squealing like a child. She was so happy that she didn't let her bad thoughts get the best of her. She was happy that she'd gotten herself together and that her baby was coming back home. Well, so she hoped.

--

"So you're going back home?" Toya asked wistfully.

"Awe, don't be sad Toy, I'm ready to go back home. I love it here but I'm ready to get back to my own and my baby. I do miss her, Eissa does as well."