Chapter 5

HE EXPLAINED THAT my Father had been concerned for my safety. But I don't care if he's here to "Keep me safe." I've never asked for that, and I don't want him to keep me safe. I thought to myself, hurt by my Father's action. "Marc, I don't think it's a big deal." He tried grabbing my arm.

"Of course you don't!" I hissed at him.

Telium threw up his arms in surrender. "Look, I get it - you don't want handouts, and you're strong enough to care for yourself. But some people just want to help you, and it would be nice if you let them." I gritted my teeth and crossed my arms across my chest.

I knew he was right, but I still did not like the idea of someone constantly looking after me. Telium shifted his weight from one foot to another before continuing. My dad is going to get a mouthful.

"You already have a target on your back here, and if I can help make that target any smaller, then I'm willing to do anything - even if it's just being a friend who watches out for you." He looked at me expectantly, waiting for an answer.

I hesitated for a moment before finally letting out a deep sigh. "Fine," I said reluctantly, knowing he was only trying to help. "But don't think this means that I need a babysitter constantly looking over my shoulder saying will she or won't she," I told him.

"Fine, Marcilla." I will be your friend and nothing more. He said to me.

I've said these words to him once before when he tried to kiss me a few years ago, but I didn't want him that way. His gaze softened as he looked at me. "Just think about it. Your Father cares for you and wants to ensure nothing happens to you." His words sounded genuine, but I couldn't shake the feeling of being suffocated.

As if sensing my unease, Telium changed the subject. "So, how's Avilora treating you? Making any new friends?" I shrugged nonchalantly before replying with a smile. "Yeah, actually, Abigale and Jacklyn seem

pretty cool." Telium grinned back approvingly. "Good for you! It's always important to have good friends," he said, patting me on my shoulder.

"What squad are you in?" I ask him.
"Second." He replies, and I smile.
"What's your job?" He asks me.
"I was assigned self-defense." I say to him, adding, "What about you?" I ask him.

"Team medic." He states.
"I can't believe you are in my squad! We are going to have so much fun." I say to him. he looks over at me, worried, as he finally notices the scratches on my face.

"How was the climb?"

"I mean, it was rough, kind of scary; a girl tried to kill me up there, by some girl named Tara, but I defended myself," I say to him, but he still looks concerned.

"You can't be weak, Marcella; these people are like vultures. You must be careful about choosing your friends and watching your back at every possible moment." He says.

"Why do I have to watch my back when my father already paid you for it for me." I snap.

"I'm here, Marcella, here to get my own dragon, have my own power, and become a hunter; you need to get over the fact that I am also here so I can help you." He says.

"Get over it? I was just informed that you would even be here in the first place. And not just to 'get your dragon, gain your powers, and become a hunter.' I mocked his voice, and he smiled at me.

"You're getting better at that." He says, smiling at me.

"I know, but don't let that distract you from the fact that I don't need your protection," I tell him.

"Well, Marcella, I will just look out for you." He says to me. And I roll my eyes at him. My Father thinks I am weak after all of the hard work, the blood, sweat, and tears Monte put me through to be where I am; ugh, maybe I am weak. I thought to myself.