ii.

CHAPTER TWO
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

CHERRY IS BEING SWALLOWED ALIVE BY HER NERVOUSNESS. No, it's not because of the game she's currently at - warmups haven't even started yet. She's nervous to see his face again. Cherry can't remember what he looks like, and even if she did, he must look different now. There wasn't anyone else in the suite with her, which was eerily lonely for the brunette dressed in red.

She was left to swim in the ocean that is Cherry Scott's brain. When people think of the ocean, they usually picture a bright blue body of water surrounded by sand. But the ocean that Cherry has is dark blue. You can't see below the surface, the sky is dark and cloudy, a thunderstorm is upon her, and jagged rocks covered the land.

As soon as Cherry saw Thatcher Dekmo walk out of the tunnel and knock over the stack of pucks, she was up and out of her seat. She rushed to the bathroom inside of the suite and sat on top the toilet. She could still hear the crowd cheering for the Canucks as they took the ice but the bathroom walls muffled the noise of the cheers slightly.

Cherry has two options. One, leave. The positives of that option are that she doesn't have to deal with seeing her ex-boyfriend for 3 hours. She can also read or sleep in this time, too. The negative would be disappointing her best friend. Two, stay. The positive of staying is that she wouldn't be disappointing her best friend. The negatives would be having to see her ex-boyfriend's face for 3 hours.

Option one was really tempting for Cherry. The brunette realized that she could attend another one of Jack's games. Possibly in Newark or a different game in Canada like the Toronto or Montreal. So that's what she did. She grabbed her purse and made her way out of Rogers Arena.

📸 CHERRYSCOTTUPDATES

LIKED BY PEOPLEMAGAZINE HOLLYWOODFIX TEENVOUGE AND 2

LIKED BY PEOPLEMAGAZINE HOLLYWOODFIX TEENVOUGE AND 2.3 MILLION OTHERS
CAPTION: cherry seen leaving rogers arena before the game even started!!

user1 that's so sus... why would she leave before the game started??
|
user3 idk!! it is really weird tho...

user2 girl saw warmups and said "that's enough for me"
|
user4 such puck bunny behavior

user5 who won the game??
|
user6 the devils did 3-2 in ot!!

View more comments

Cherry sighed when she got into her car. She felt horrible doing this to Jack, but then again, she didn't want to deal with Quinn Hughes. Quinn is like a domino. In Cherry's mind, she has this long domino line built up. Quinn is the domino in the front, and when it falls over, all the other dominos fall over, too. All of the patience it took to set up all the dominoes gets destroyed just because one loses balance.

As Cherry pulled into the parking lot, she got a text. As she read that it was from Jack, she could only imagine how upset he is knowing that she's not there. Before the game, they met up in the arena and she wished him good luck and stuff like that.

jack 🫶

where are you?
i didn't see you during warmups

i left

why?

i didn't want to see quinn

seriously cherry?

i'm sorry jack

you guys broke up years ago and it's not fair you don't hang out with me bc of that

it's more complicated than that

is it? bc it seems really fucking simple to me.

jack please. i didn't mean to hurt you and i need you to understand that. i promise i'll go to another one of your games, i promise

do you want me to bring up the amount of times you've said that to me? to be honest, it's ticking me off cherry.

jack i'm sorry, we can hang out tomorrow

i'm going back to jersey after the game.

jack don't, i'm sorry
jack
please
i get your pissed but please answer
fuck
i'm sorry

Cherry grabbed her belongings and got out of her car. She knew she was wrong for leaving Jack like that, and it left her overwhelmed with a sense of guilt. It was painfully plain how selfish she had acted. All Jack asked was for to be at the game. He didn't ask for anything more than that and she couldn't do that one simple thing for him.

She felt like an asshole. Put it like this: you ask someone you truly care about to do one simple thing for you because it means a lot to you, but they don't do it. Cherry knew that feeling all too well due to her ex-boyfriend. Her intent was never to make Jack feel even remotely close to how she did all those years ago.

The elevator ride was quick and quiet except for the sound of Cherry's shaky breaths. She felt her throat slowly get that lump that alarms her she's about to start crying. That only made things worse for her. Why am I about to cry? Is what she thought to herself. Jack was the one who got hurt, not her. She shouldn't be on the verge of tears as she unlocks her apartment door.

She took a sharp inhale as her keys and purse landed on the kitchen counter. "Fuck." She muttered breathlessly in the dark apartment before sliding down the counter onto the floor. The cold wood floors kept her centered - not allowing her to drown in the pool of her thoughts.

The game should be over by now. With that in mind, Cherry's blurry eyes scanned her contacts to call Jack. Due to the large amount of contacts she stored in her phone, she looked up Hughes and clicked on the first name she found.

She brought the phone up to her ear and waited for Jack to pick up. It was nearing the end of the call - it almost went to voicemail - but at the last second, he picked up. "Hello?" She asked shakily.

"Cherry?" That is not the voice of Jack Hughes.

author's note:

cliffhanger bc i felt like it :) i wonder who she called instead of jack.... you'll have to wait to find out 🤪🤪

this is for ms taylor alison swift: why would you sing picture to burn without me there???????????????????????

anywho, vote and comment :) i love you all, drink food and eat water 🫶