iii.

CHAPTER THREE
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

CHERRY FELT HER WHOLE BODY TENSE UP. She didn't call Jack, no, she called Quinn. Cherry had royally fucked up worse than she ever had. She couldn't formulate a single word, let alone a sentence. Then, something in her snapped in a way she couldn't describe.

"Can we meet up tomorrow?" She said. Cherry didn't know what came over her. I mean, who did she think she was? Why on God's green Earth would she meet up with the person she's been avoiding since 2018?

"Uh, sure?" His voice got deeper. That's what Cherry immediately noticed about him. That led her to wonder if his favorite color was still blue. She wondered if he still hated asparagus. She wondered if he still loves her.

"Great, um, your house? 2?" The brunette asked. Cherry was positive her ex-boyfriend had millions of questions. But she was sure he still knew that when she made up her mind about something, she did it. "Oh shit. Your address, I-"

"I'll send it to you." Was all the defenseman said before hanging up. Cherry thought the call failed, but when she pulled it away from her ear and saw call ended instead of call failed, she knew it was no mistake.

Cherry's plan is that she will talk to Quinn tomorrow. Then they will come to some sort of agreement about how she can at least tolerate being around him for the sake of Jack. It almost feels like a divorce and Jack is the child in a way.

Cherry thought about how this will work. How she will be able to get used to being around Quinn for the sake of Jack. It'll take a lot of compromising and communication. She thought about how stressed or agitated she might feel seeing him again. But one feeling jumped out at her. It absolutely terrified her.

What if Cherry saw him again and fell for him again?

Maybe asking Quinn to meet up wasn't as good as an idea when Cherry originally thought of it. But then again, she definitely didn't want to disappoint Jack again. He didn't deserve that. Cherry decided she needed to push her feelings aside to get this settled. And that's what she did.

The next morning, Cherry woke up prepared for the emotional toll today will take on her. Since she knew she was meeting him at two, she put his location in her maps to see how far away he lived. She was surprised when he lived only 10 minutes away. She's been living this close to Quinn this whole time and didn't even notice it.

So Cherry relaxed until 1:45. She finished reading a book, and even had time to do a face mask. She was heading out the door at 1:45, completely calm. Cherry felt shocked at how calm she was, to be honest. As she neared closer and closer to the unfamiliar house, Cherry didn't feel her nerves rising within her.

She didn't feel nervous when she turned off her car, got out of it, and walked up the pathway. She didn't feel nervous when she hit the doorbell. She didn't feel nervous when she heard footsteps approaching the white door. She didn't feel nervous until the most unfamiliar familiar face opened the door.

Her breath was caught in her throat as she took in the 'stranger' in front of her. His dark brown hair laid messily on his head in the most put together way. He had a bit of facial hair, too. Nothing too much, but Cherry noticed. His green eyes looked darker although it was daylight. Maybe it was because of the black sweatshirt that he wore. Cherry knew that anytime he wore darker colors, his eyes would appear darker.