vii.

CHAPTER SEVEN
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

"I want you." Quinn had said. Those three words were the key to stop time. Cherry felt her breath hitch as her ex-boyfriend - possibly current boyfriend? - took a step closer to her. Quinn was close enough to tuck a stray strand of hair that fell out of her braid behind her ear. He let his hand rest on her cheek, afterward.

The dark-haired boy studied the girl for a moment. The light rosy tint to her cheeks, her perfectly emerald green eyes, her beautifully long eyelashes. Quinn couldn't decided which feature of hers was his favorite.

The moment they both knew and wanted was approaching slowly. Sure, they were both very eager to kiss one another as they'd be making up for lost time. But, they wanted to savor. They wanted to take in each second and bask in the joy of being with one another.

Eventually, they had begun to gravitate toward each other. After all, you can only keep magnets away from each other for long before they are bound to connect. That's how her lips felt on his. Like his were filled with electricity. Or, at least that's how they should feel considering they were interrupted by Quinn's phone ringing.

"Fuck." Quinn said looking at his phone that lied on the couch. "I have to take this." He said. Cherry nodded understandingly. He answered the phone.

Cherry stood there with her hands in her pockets as Quinn listened to - whoever - was on the other end of the line. "Just breathe, okay? I'm on my way." Then he hung up.

"J.T.'s wife is in labor, and he's stranded at home because his took his car to the shop after he dropped Kate off at a doctors appointment, turns out she's about to have the baby. So I have to go take J.T. to the hospital." Quinn said in a rush. Cherry, used to Quinn's fast speaking although it doesn't happen often, understood what he was saying.

"Oh gosh, okay, yeah. You should go do that." Cherry said. She watched as Quinn pocketed his phone and began to frantically grab the things he needed to leave.

"I'm sorry, baby. You can hang out here until I get back if you want." He said gathering shoes and keys frantically. Cherry thought over her options. If she did stay, she really didn't have anything to do here.

"It's okay, I'll just go." Cherry replied. She had thought Quinn would give her a quick kiss on the way out, but he didn't. Maybe it was a spur of the moment thing, maybe it was a mistake on his end - certainly not on Cherry's, though. She knew that she wanted to kiss Quinn, in fact, she still wants to. But he has something he has to take care of, and she needs to understand that no matter how selfish she wants to be.

IT'S BEEN A FEW HOURS AND CHERRY HASN'T HEARD FROM QUINN. Sure, he could be busy taking J.T. to the hospital, but why would he be doing that for 3 and a half hours? Each time her phone chimed, she had eagerly picked it up thinking it was a text from Quinn, but it never was.

She had begun to occupy herself but cleaning her apartment or watching an episode of The Summer I Turned Pretty. She took a break from the show to make dinner, but resumed after her Salmon salad was made.

As the day turned into night, it was nearly cemented in Cherry's mind that, one: Quinn realized he almost made a mistake. Or, two: he completely forgot about her. Cherry didn't know which one she preferred. Meaning the brunette didn't know which one would hurt less.

Cherry, like always, began to overthink. He was on the brink of crying, and her reaction is to try and kiss him? Yeah, sure, he leaned in too. But, Cherry figured he didn't want things to be awkward so he leaned in because he felt bad. Or maybe he was so overwhelmed with emotions, he didn't realize what was going on. Maybe it was a spur of the moment thing and he didn't really want to kiss her. Maybe, maybe, maybe. Cherry could go on forever about it.

Around 10:30, Cherry took a nice bubble bath with a glass of wine. It's something she does from time to time just to unwind and relax. She definitely needed the relaxation time to turn off her spiraling thoughts she's been having.

For example, her mind is telling her different things. Part of her is thinking of all the maybes, and the other part is telling her she's being selfish and over thinking like she always does. What does she believe? Are either of them even the truth?

Turning off her brain was unbelievably needed right now.

After her long bath, she did her just as long skincare routine. She did a face mask, too. The brunette had her usual skincare, then her longer routine. She did the longer one about once a week to really clean and moisturize her face.

Once she had laid down in her bed, she resumed The Summer I Turned Pretty on Prime Video. Considering she has watched the show a million times and can quote it by now, she pulled out her phone. For the first time today, she wasn't thinking about a notification from Quinn. But when she scanned her lock screen full of them, his name happened to be there.

Cherry braced herself like she always does before anything with Quinn. He's pretty unpredictable. She didn't know whether he would talk about how the almost kiss was a mistake or some other variation that would hurt the brunette whether she wanted to admit it or not.

Once Cherry had opened the text, she let out a breath she didn't know she was holding in. Quinn didn't forget about Cherry after all. That was a relief to the anxious girl to say the least.

quinn

4 pounds 9 ounces
12.10.22
7:13pm
baby p says hi

*one image attachment*

oh my god she's so cute, tell the miller's i said congratulations :)

will do

author's note:

YOUR BRAIDS LIKE A PATTER, I LOVE YOU TO THE MOON AND TO SATURN

sorry, felt fitting.

ANYWAY, buckle up for the next chapter ily all

i wanna talk ab harry's last show of lot for a second because i'm such a huge harry fan, i love him and his music more than anything else and honestly the tour has been the best 3ish years of my life, as the same for most likely every harrie, and it's so bittersweet that it's over <33

anyway, eat water and drink food 🫶🫶