xv.

CHAPTER FIFTEEN
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

CHERRY TURNED AROUND AT THE SOUND OF A VOICE. As her tears soaked her cheeks, she looked at the man in front of her who also stood out of breath. She didn't know she was being followed. But then again, she was running the fastest she ever had wearing heels, and she couldn't hear anything other than her sobs. Thank God for clear mascara.

She had assumed she would turn around to find Quinn, Luke, or hell, even Jack. But no. She was met with Adam Fantilli - one of Luke's teammates at University of Michigan, and one of Cherry's good friends. "A-Adam?"

"Yeah," He breathed through his teeth. "Sorry it's not Luca." He joked. Cherry chuckled the smallest bit, but Adam took it as a win.

"I didn't know you where here." The brunette spoke as he walked toward her.

"Luke kind of forced me, but I would've came on my own if I knew what show I would get to see." The Wolverine spoke.

"Yeah, I didn't really know what I was in for either." Cherry spoke with an almost scoff as she crossed her arms across her chest and looked at the pavement underneath her.

"Well you missed some of it. When I left, Ethan and Rutger were pulling Quinn off of Jack. Luke was only egging it on." Adam spoke as they slowly walked out of the alley. Cherry only sighed.

"Hey, don't stress about it." He slung his arm over her cold shoulder in a friendly way. "I'm sure it'll make for great memories and conversations in the future." Adam tried to joke. That's something Cherry has always admired about him. In hard or stressful situations, he would always try to make someone laugh to lighten the mood.

"I hate that it all happened. I mean... I had no clue Jack even felt that way about me. And, Luke. God, I really didn't want to put Luke in a situation like that." Cherry looked up at the sky. Being in the middle of the city, she wasn't able to see the moon - which upset her. "Especially not in front of all those people. Honestly, I didn't want to put anyone in that situation. No Jim or Ellen or Quinn. I wish they didn't have to go through that."

"Don't you wish you didn't have to go through that?" He spoke. Cherry glanced at him before looking at the ground. "You're always talking about how you wish other people didn't have to go through things, but never have I once heard you say how you wish you didn't go through something. You don't deserve any of the horrible stuff that's happened to you, you know."

"I... I never thought about it like that." She spoke. She avoided the cracks on the pavement as she walked, it's something she's always done. But she took Adam's words into account. He's right. She's always thinking about how other people feel about situations, but never about how she feels.

"Yeah, I know you didn't." Adam spoke with a chesire-like smile. "My hotel is down the street, are you okay walking back?" Cherry nods. He gives her shoulder a quick squeeze before walking the other way.

She didn't walk alone for long before Luke appeared at her side. "I'm sorry." Was all the brunette said as her heels clicked on the pavement.

"It's not your fault, Cher. I was just sick of his bullshit. I'm sorry you had to see that." He spoke softly with his hands in the the pockets of his dress pants. His suit jacket was no where to be found, and his button up sleeves were now rolled to his forearms. The thought didn't even cross Cherry's mind to ask Luke about what the whole breakdown thing was.

They walked silently for a little. Cherry didn't realize how far away she had ran from the hotel. "Quinn's really worried, you know." The curly-headed boy spoke. "He feels like he fucked everything up. Even thought I told him he did nothing wrong."

"I'll talk to him." Cherry stated. She felt horrible for what had happened. Causing an entire scene like in front of literal NHL royalty, his family, and anyone in general. Imagine finding out your own brother is in love with your girlfriend. Let alone it happening in front of all those people. "I'm sorry for ruining tonight."

"If you apologize one more time for anything," Luke had stopped walking, which caused Cherry to come to a halt as well. "I will push you into the middle of the street."

"Jesus, okay. Done apologizing." Cherry said putting her hands up in defensive as the pair continued the walk down the street.

"Jack left. So did everyone else. At least you don't have to deal with.... people." The nineteen year old spoke once they entered the hotel lobby. "I'm gonna go find my parents, they should be around here somewhere."

"Thanks, Luke. For everything, really." Cherry spoke. Him coming to her defense and Quinn's like that... wasn't something she expected, but something she'll always be eternally grateful for. Without Luke, she wouldn't have known what to say.

"Anytime, Cherry." He gave her a soft smile before disappearing into the event room. Cherry took a quick deep breath before entering the elevator. On the ride up, she grabbed her room key from her purse.

She thought about what she would say to Quinn. Honestly, the girl hasn't processed what had happened herself, let alone how Quinn will be feeling about it.

The clicking noise of her heels were muffled against the carpet floor. Once she reached the room, she opened the door to find Quinn sitting on the edge of the bed. His eyes were focused on the floor, not because it was interesting, because he was thinking - anyone could tell because of the atmosphere in the room. His suit jacket laid on the bed as his shoes were by the door. His hair was a mess, as if he ran his hands through it several times. The sleeves of his button up sat right under his elbows which rested on his knees, while his hands were interlocked together.

"Hi." Cherry spoke quietly. Quinn didn't glance up from the floor as the girl took off her heels and set her purse down. He didn't look up when she disappeared into the bathroom to get changed, wash her face, and brush her hair. He didn't look up when she came out of the bathroom in one of Quinn's big T-shirts. He finally looked at her when she sat down on the floor with her legs crossed directly in front of him.

"I think we should break up."

author's note:

next chapter, last chapter!

company • quinn hughesजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें