vi.

CHAPTER SIX
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

NERVOUS WAS AN UNDERSTATEMENT TO DESCRIBE HOW CHERRY WAS FEELING. Quinn had texted her out of the blue saying: we need to talk. Cherry hadn't seen or heard from Quinn since she was at his house two weeks ago, but today, that all changed. The brunette had no clue what this talk would entail, but nonetheless, she vowed not to back out. She was on her way to his house to talk.

Once she had arrived, she sat in her car about five minutes to calm her nerves. She took deep breaths, preparing herself for anything when they start to talk. Once Quinn had let her in, Cherry took it upon herself to sit down on the couch. It was comfortable, she couldn't lie.

"So," Quinn said as he sat down on the couch as well, a safe distance away from her. "I want to talk to you about something really important."

"Okay." Cherry said. She wishes her ex-lover would just get to the point before the anticipation swallows her whole. As she waited for him to speak, she took in how nervous he looked. He does - or at least did - this thing where he would tap each of his fingers together over and over in stressful situations.

"Um, I... I don't really know where to start." He said. Cherry could tell by his voice alone that he was nervous, that never happened often with him. He was extremely good at at least keeping his voice untraceable of any nerves he may have been experiencing.

"Just start from the beginning." Cherry said giving him a reassuring nod. He took a deep breath, and Cherry noticed how his eyes were the tiniest bit shiny, almost glossy in a way.

"I, um, after the draft, in the middle of the night, I woke up because I couldn't sleep." Fuck, shit, and goddamn were only a few words that went through Cherry's mind as her ex-boyfriend spoke. He must be telling her why he got so cold to her. She braced herself for whatever his answer may be. "And, I was just mindlessly scrolling through Instagram while I was in the bathroom." He shakes his head.

He takes a breath, then continues. "I came across this post, and I started to look through the comments. It, the comments were so hurtful, Cherry. I- I didn't get why people were calling me soft and saying I don't deserve to be in the league." Cherry had never known this and her heart broke for Quinn now, and the Quinn who read all these comments in the first place.

"The comments were getting to my head, and I, I needed someone to talk to. I didn't want to wake up, so I called Bradley." Cherry nodded, Bradley was Quinn's personal trainer for about five years, she's met him once a while ago, but that's all she's seen of him. "I told him what the comments were saying, and he said he was afraid something like that might happen. Of course I was confused, and he explained how I was too soft for the NHL. But he told me he knew a way to fix it. I thought he meant I would have to train more, but I was wrong. I was so fucking wrong."

"Quinn, what did he tell you?"

"I was so blindsided, baby. I, I didn't want to ruin my career before it started." Cherry watched as his eyes welled up. "So, I told him that I was in, I said I would do whatever it takes to make sure I have a successful career."

"He, um, he told me to, uh, fuck. He told me that I needed to break up with you." Cherry felt her heart drop. It all started to make sense in her mind now. "He said you made me soft. A-and I didn't think it was true, but he gaslight me, baby. He manipulated me into believing all of this shit, and I'm so fucking sorry."

"No, no, no. You shouldn't be the one apologizing right now. I'm sorry he put you through that, Quinn." Cherry has never wished harm upon anyone before, but goddamn, it would be pretty fucking great if Bradley fell down some stairs right about now. "You didn't deserve that, and none of the things he said about you being soft are true, it wasn't, and it isn't. But, um, why didn't you tell me sooner?"

"It didn't matter after we broke up. The damage was done, I hurt you too much. I didn't deserve to be with you after that." He said.

"So what made you tell me now?" Cherry wondered.

"I need you in my life, Cherry." Quinn admitted. He had took into consideration what Luke had said, and he's one million percent right. He watched as Cherry tried to protest, but he continued on. "I was so happy with you. I was really, genuinely, happy. And I haven't felt that in a while, since you, actually. And, I'll do whatever it takes, but I need you back."

Quinn expected her to yell in his face about springing this all on her, hell, he expected her to explain how he doesn't need her to be happy. He had thought she would let him down easy before he got the answer he did.

"I don't want you to need me. I want you to want me." The brunette had said in a serious tone as she stood up from the couch. It was simple for Cherry, unknown to Quinn. She would date him again in an instant, but she doesn't want him to need her in his life. Cherry wants him to want her in his life.

Needing someone has an expected expiration date. In Quinn's case, Cherry will 'expire' whenever he becomes happy again. Needing her is saying he can't live without her, like she's food he needs to survive. Wanting someone is more of a desire. Something that'll last forever - at least a much longer time than needing someone.

Quinn stood up, too before saying, "I want you."

author's note:

this chapter is shorter bc there is A LOT to unpack here so enjoy the cliffhanger :))))

what do you think will happen in the next chapter??

can we talk ab how harry's last lot show ever is tmr??? idk if any of y'all are harry fans but i'm NOT doing well. i've been a fan since august 21 so i've never really not seen him on tour so i'm not to excited for this. also, taylor has a show tn and i'm scared for surprise songs so future ppl: how did it go??

make sure to eat water and drink food 🫶🫶