lvl 20 xiao beats lvl 90 fatui on dragonspine?!?? (real)(not clickbait)

credits—> polariis

Summary:

"Precisely why we're here," the blond blinked, as if it was glaringly obvious. "I want to do a sort of training exercise. Just, you know, see what needs to be improved about your current build. It'll help you get stronger."

His... current build? What?

"Well, why this place in particular? And what's this training exercise?"

"Well, it's the easiest place to find Fatui mobs... and as for the exercise, it's simple. Just go up and defeat them."

-

or: xiao get railed by big fatooey guys

-

"Traveler," Xiao bit out, the frigid atmosphere of Dragonspine already worming its way beneath his relatively thick skin. "I must ask you a question."

"Hm?" Aether replied, barely paying attention to the other male. His golden eyes were intently focused on the Fatui camp below the cliffside on which they were perched.

The adeptus crossed his arms, feeling his irritation grow at the other's blatantly apathetic attitude. It wasn't typical of the Traveler to act in such a dismissive manner, even after a grueling day of drudging through various commissions and quests for measly scraps. Frankly, Xiao found these daily activities to be tedious, although Aether insisted upon doing them for a foreign currency known as "primogems".

It wasn't only Aether's dismissiveness that came off as peculiar. He had dismissed their other two party members for the day, claiming they could "handle things on their own".

Loathe as he was to admit it, Xiao and Aether alone could... not handle it on their own. The latter's abilities were clearly more suited to a support role on the team, whether he assisted with elemental reactions or creating Geo blockades. And as for the former.

Xiao did not quite understand the reason behind this strange occurrence, but despite his status as the Vigilant Yaksha, a mystical being, he was exponentially weaker compared to the rest of the team.

(He had almost gone red with humiliation when even the blonde deaconess, known for her adeptness at healing ailments, could put a greater dent in the enemy than he.)

Although initially, he had not even been allowed onto the battlefield once joining the adventuring party, he was soon supplied with peculiar stacks of purple books and various trinkets from boss enemies. At first, he was greatly perplexed at how being showered by Aether with gemstones, qingxin blossoms, and slime condensate was meant to help him become stronger — some unusual ritual, perhaps — but he quickly found that it did, in fact, help. Somehow.

Despite all that, Xiao was still far from reaching the level of power the rest of the adventuring party possessed — which was what led him to the question he was about to ask Aether, who still practically refused to make eye contact with him.

"Traveler," Xiao snapped with barely restrained annoyance. "Are you listening to me?"

"I — yes. Go ahead," the other swiftly replied, seemingly realizing his error and whipping his head around to face Xiao.