Chapter 13

Knight's Code of Honour

11. He fights against injustice and inequality.

oOo

"A hidden sanctuary, you say?" exclaimed Impa, astonished.

Fortunately, they were in Zelda's study, and there was no one else present. The princess had returned about an hour ago and had asked her nurse to join her as soon as possible.

"It was indeed engraved Shrine of Resurrection,'" the Hylian princess repeated, pacing around the circular room. "I didn't imagine it... Link can testify. But all I found was strange."

She paused and locked her gaze with Impa's.

"We must learn more. Can Purah go there?"

"Yes, certainly. An important matter like this would never leave her indifferent," Impa assured her, arms crossed. "And did the tablet react to that place?"

Zelda looked at the object in question.

"Yes. I would like to know more about it. But I can't... Father will not want me to go back there."

A veil of sadness passed over her face, her features tightening.

"He scolded me again: 'Going to the Great Plateau was just a waste of time!' he said. It didn't help my case..."

"Come now, Princess Zelda," murmured Impa, taking a step towards her. "Please, don't lose hope. You give so much for the people, dedicating yourself body and soul. Thanks to you, among other things, our technology has improved."

Impa gave her a reassuring smile.

"Your efforts will be rewarded. Never doubt that."

Zelda's lips pinched, and her fingers intertwined with nervousness. She knew it well... Gradually, she was losing her self-esteem. And for the Sheikah, someone had to show Zelda that she was wrong to think that way.

"Impa, I... I will dismiss Link for the day. I'm afraid that seeing him will throw me back into the same state of mind as before..."

Impa understood what she was getting at and the reason behind it. Seeing the sword's Champion and comparing herself to him contributed to the princess's suffering.

"Very well, I will convey your order to him. I will take charge of your protection for today. Do you want him to eat before us?"

Zelda simply nodded and then headed towards her room. How could she find a way out of this dark whirlpool that engulfed her a little more every day in turmoil?

oOo

Of course, Link was truly speechless upon hearing the princess's decision. Dismiss him, at a time like this? But... it was madness! Even if Impa stayed with her. The loyal knight had no choice but to comply with the order and dedicated his free time to training. Today, he was practicing archery. It was an activity he enjoyed, although he missed his old bow. The so-called "royal" equipment didn't really suit him as he found it too flashy and pretentious for a combat bow. In the training hall, Link lost count of the arrows he unleashed at his target. But after a while, his arms began to tire, forcing him to stop.

Later, Link went to the library to search for a book on the various flowers of the kingdom. The Silent Princess... Those were plants that piqued his curiosity. After about ten minutes of searching, he found an interesting volume and sat down at a table, under the glow of a candle. Indeed, the information about this flower was rather scarce. The princess knew more about it than the book did. Just then, one of the doors of the grand hall opened, revealing Zelda. Link looked up to see her. Her surprise seemed mutual as Zelda stopped on the threshold, eyes wide open, stood frozen for a moment, then swiftly turned back, placing a hand along her temple to hide her face. Well... the young man was even more bewildered. No matter how much he replayed all the recent moments they spent together, none of them indicated that he had done anything wrong. Unless it was due to his recent unsuccessful prayer session? Link raised an eyebrow, looking concerned.