Chapter 22

Sometimes we never know the value of a moment, until it becomes a memory...

Zelda stood facing her father in the throne room. Her heart was pounding in her chest, she hid the tremors of her hands against her stomach as best she could. Behind her, her appointed knight had placed a knee on the ground and lowered his head in submission. That day, she had to expose her program to the king to justify again her trips to the Rito village and then to the Gerudo Town. The princess had to explain that she had made upgrade programs for the Divine Beasts and that she needed the sheikah slate to implant them there. Not knowing exactly how long it would take, she estimated the duration of her trip at about five days.

"Try not to waste any more time," her father said sternly through a powerful voice. "I hope you will pray every day."

The royal priestess's throat knotted up.

"Yes, Father," she said, lowering her eyes.

"You're dismissed."

Zelda bowed and then eagerly left the huge room. That was how her interviews with his father always ended... Fatherly love was probably what caused this void in her heart. The death of his wife, the queen, had truly changed him. In the middle of the corridor, the princess turned around to find herself facing Link who stopped abruptly.

"We will leave tomorrow at dawn," she announced with determination. "I have already had Revali informed of our visit. If our journey goes well, we will arrive at our destination around eleven o'clock."

The blond doesn't say anything. He would follow her instructions, as usual. This meant packing his stuff the night before and going to bed early. Link walked his damsel back to her apartments, but she stopped in front of the door leading to it. She looked very confused and it intrigued the knight.

"Link, I am aware that this is not the best time to tell you after the latest events. But..."

She stared at him for a moment to see if she could continue. Link didn't seem to be any more affected than that. Her friend decided to continue:

"As you know, only women are allowed to enter the Gerudo Town. I discussed it with Urbosa before she left... She agreed that you cross-dress to stay with me."

Link's eyes widened slightly. Again? He saw himself in his gerudo outfit and fire rose to his cheeks. Faced with his expression, Zelda immediately wanted to catch up to reassure him.

"Don't worry! I have a servant's outfit for you so that the women of the city think you are my next. Urbosa assured me that her people did not know your face, even very vaguely..." she added embarrassedly.

"I will," he said in an assured tone.

Link would do it out of duty and necessity. Anyway, what did he have to lose? Only the princess and Urbosa would know his identity so his shame would remain moderate. Zelda rewarded him with a smile to thank him. Even though her appointed knight was much more closed since his return, she was relieved to see that he remained true to himself despite the loss of his father. The royal priestess entered her apartments to change for the prayer session. Once this was done, they both left for the royal temple.

The next morning, the sun was barely on the horizon when the chosen by the goddesses left the citadel. The air was almost fresh but brought with it a still relaxing atmosphere, nature barely awoke. Zelda and her companion were calmly heading to Hebra Mountains in the east, they only met a few farmers who joined their field or who came to bring their goods for the morning market of the citadel. The common people always greeted these two travellers who crossed the road in the opposite direction at such an early hour. Alas, this beginning of the journey reminded Zelda of her difficult beginnings of relationship with Link when he did not speak and he stayed behind her. Yet Link had ended up walking alongside her when they were on horseback. As he resumed his old ways, he was worried. It was out of the question for the princess that her friend would let go, she would help him. Zelda would help him because she knew how hard it was.