good boy - part 2

vi.

The first time Lan Huan ever calls Jiang Wanyin those words outside of the bedroom, it was an honest mistake. Really! The words just slipped out before Lan Huan could've even realised what he had said.

See, it happened in Jinlintai, of all places. But! But – it's not as bad as it sounds, in Lan Huan's opinion.

It went like this: Jin-zongzhu hosted the most recent discussion conference, and Jiang Wanyin decided to stay a few extra days after it had passed. And, well, Lan Huan told Jiang Wanyin he could spare a few days as well, it would bode well for Lan Huan to spend some time with Jin Rulan since he is courting his beloved jiujiu.

The day after the conference, Jiang Wanyin had requested a private pavilion for him and Lan Huan to take lunch, much to the annoyance of Jin Rulan. With great reluctance, Jin Rulan allowed Lan Huan into the Jin family quarters to use the pavilion Jiang Wanyin favoured, grumbling under his breath about how 'Zewu-jun is making my jiujiu act so shamelessly' for – gasp – a private lunch together.

Jin Rulan joined them, of course. Although, he left temporarily after the meals were finished to attend to a sect matter, which left him and Jiang Wanyin alone once again.

"Does Xichen wishes for more tea?" Jiang Wanyin asked, already mixing tea leaves in the water.

Lan Huan nodded, "Yes, thank you, Wanyin."

"You know..." Jiang Wanyin began, taking his time to swirl the teapot, "This tea is actually one of my favourites from my youth, it always tasted wonderfully after a good lunch. I hope you'll like it as much as I do."

"Wanyin has good taste, I'm sure it'll taste magnificent."

Jiang Wanyin scoffed, playful, then began pouring the tea into the awaiting cups. He handed one over to Lan Huan once he finished, and Lan Huan didn't even realise what he had said.

"Good boy, thank you."

He didn't clock his mistake until he heard Jiang Wanyin cough, setting his teacup down roughly, the liquid sloshing over the rim, flowing in little droplets onto the table. Lan Huan doesn't know why those words slipped out of his mouth, maybe it was because of Jiang Wanyin sharing a fond memory of his youth with Lan Huan, or maybe it was because Jiang Wanyin was the one making it for him.

Either way, it slipped, and Jiang Wanyin was sporting a brilliant blush, colouring his entire face, going down his neck, and disappearing under the collar of his robes. Despite biting down on his lip, a small whine still managed to slip through. Zidian was sparking brightly on his index finger, and Jiang Wanyin looked like he was seconds away from reaching across the table and strangling Lan Huan.

Okay, time to shift into damage control mode.

Lan Huan reached out to Jiang Wanyin, wrapping his hand around Jiang Wanyin's wrist, and rubbing soothing circles over his pulse point. "Wanyin – "

Jiang Wanyin doesn't say anything at first, shaking himself out of Lan Huan's hold, then shakily stood up.

"I will be back shortly," Jiang Wanyin said through gritted teeth. His body was trembling ever-so-slightly, he was trying his very hardest to not show how much those words were affecting him. Oh so very interesting.

Before he could make a swift exit, Jin Rulan chose a wonderful time to return, bumping into Jiang Wanyin.

"Jiujiu, where are you going? Your face is so red, are you okay? Do you feel ill?" Jin Rulan asked.