2. Well, sh*t

I'm not sure where I am... how come I never know anything? I blink slowly trying to get the sleep out of my eyes. My throat feels dry like I've been screaming but I think it's just dehydration. I scan the room I'm in and I'm on a white bed in a brown room. There's a desk next to me but it has nothing in it or on it. I move my legs over the side of the bed so I can get up and start searching the room I'm in. My feet hit the cold wooden planks and already I regret moving. My body hits the floor... wow first 30 seconds into consciousness and I'm already on the floor... I put my hands against the floor in attempts to push myself back up but my arms feel so weak. Why on earth am I so fucking sleepy? Suddenly the door swings open and a guy walks in. A nurse? A doctor? Santa clause? None of the above? Who is this? He takes in the sight of me in the floor and chuckles almost silently. I glare at him and finally stand up after too much effort.
"I'm glad to see yer doing well. How'd ya sleep" I respond with silence and a mean face. An exasperated sigh leaves his lips followed up with a slight chuckle.
"C'mon now kiddo, if you act like this then you're never gonna get a banana split~"
huh, what the fuck he talkin about...Is this his way at negotiating? Is he trying to no seem threatening? what's a banana split? I recognize it... hmmm. Suddenly the sensation of my mouth watering reminds me of the fact I need to respond. Wait why is my mouth watering? Is it like some type of food? God I hate not knowing things. My gut is telling me that it's something good so I guess I'll respond. What was his question again? I don't even remember. I guess I'll just nod my head and pretend I know what's happening. A single confident (fake confident) nod of my head is all that it takes in order for the man's face to light up. He dosent seem very threatening so I think I'm fine.
"Yay! You just made me feel as happy as a show cow on rodeo day!"
His strange accent makes me want to laugh. I remember what it's called actually. It's a county accent! Wait no that dosent seem right.. oh it's country! His sudden approach towards me snaps me out of whatever memory (or lack of) filled daze I was in. I'm on gaurd again but the stiffness that overtook me dosent seem to deter the man from his approach. His long legs reach me in no time and his hand stretches out for my wrist. Before I even have time to react I'm being dragged out of the brown bedroom and through the house.
It's dusty.
And sunny.
Windows line the walls and the rays of sunshine illuminate the drifting dust in an almost rhythmic way, the house is casted in a welcoming golden glow.  Everything about it screams old country house. From the ancient looking furniture to the box TV in the corner. The framed images of horses, cows and pigs with 1st place show ribbons on their necks lining the walls sporadically are coated in a thin layer of dust that gives them a ghostly feel. I'm lead to a door that appears to lead to outside. The door shockingly leads to...outside. Who would've guessed? A porch
With two rocking chairs a small bedside looking table placed snuggly between them and a breathtaking country view. Fields upon fields of golden wheat blow calmly giving a sound that sounds familiar and soothing. Shhhhhh shhhhhh shhhhhhh. I take in the noise and appreciate it for a little oblivious to the fact that the cowboy is currently starring me down. The sky is a gorgeous pink and blue casted by the setting sun... I wonder what time it is? How long have I been asleep? The cowboy proceeds to walk to the edge of the porch and sits; his legs swinging above the vibrant grass below. He looks back at me and pats the spot next to him, silently asking for my presence. I oblige. I sit down next to him and look down at my feet. Huh. I almost forgot about those. They aren't mine. For some reason I just know that they aren't mine. He watches as I examine my new limbs.
"Pretty interestin stuff, ain't it?"
I look at him with a confused look on my face and he seems to understand that I want him to elaborate.
"Your hands, your feet, ...your new tail and horns. They aren't yours."
He said solemnly. My eyes widen and suddenly I feel sick again. I knew I was deformed but hearing it out loud and confirmed is a different stor- wait a fucking minute did he just say tail and horns? My head snaps back behind me and sure enough there's a tail. With wide eyes and a sick feeling I reach out for it and it seems to respond by moving towards me. The end is spiked... what the fuck. What the fuck what the fuck what the fuck. A hand placed on my shoulder makes me realize I'm about to hyperventilate.
"Damn there kiddo... ever heard of somethin called breathin?"
I nod slowly and inhale deeply. Inhale.... Exhale. The fuzziness of the deep breaths fill me with enough courage to go back for round two. The spikes. Right, okay, so there is spikes. They look metal, that's uh, that's just great! Yup, I can work with this. Okay. A long black tail that's fairly thick kinda like water bottle thick that has metal spikes sticking out of the end in every direction. Just.
Great.
Okay now that I'm perfectly calm. Totally calm. Calm as an exploding fire truck, I can officially move on to the horns. My hands move slowly up to my head getting closer and closer and- " What are ya actin so 'fraid for kid? Don't tell me you ain't seen em yet!"
My gaze meets his and I give him the most straight blank face I can muster.
"Well darn, I guess you haven't! My mama always said;"  the early bird gets the worm! Go clean the kitchen brat." Wait actually scratch that, that don't make no sense in this here scenario. What I'm tryna say kiddo is to not be scared cause this is just a small step toward the future."
His lips curve up into a smile and I can't help but to return it. this guy definitely isn't a threat. I run my fingers along my horns gently. The tips feel metal like my tail and the horn itself curve forward like a bulls. Okay. I'm actually calm now and I'm not lying. My hands return to my lap and my gaze meets the cotton candy sky. The cool breeze blows through my hair and the serene sound of wheat lulls me into peace. I close my eyes and inhale deeply. When I open them I look over to the cowboy who appears to be inhaling with his eyes closed just as I was. His eyes slowly open and he meets my gaze. " there ain't nothin that country air can't fix....'xcept death. Death and maybe mosquito bites. Those be realll tuff."
He lets out a small airy laugh and my lips curve up.
"But kid, I need you to listen. What I said earlier 'bout those-those things not bein' yours. Well I wasn't fibbin, they belonged to... to uh..."
He closed his eyes and inhaled again. This time his exhale came out shakey so I place my hand on his forearm. He met my hand by placing his on top of mine
"S'okay... she.. she knew what she was doin, even if she didn't- she uh... she knew. always did. God, that girl drove me insane! Always so stubborn! I-I told her! I told her! Don't go gettin yourself into things you don't understand! You're gonna get hurt! And yet, she still..."
his short rant came to a sudden halt. I wanted to cry it was as if I felt what he felt. This girl. Was she the one I found? As gorgeous as a doll? The sound of him sniffling made me snap out of my thoughts. I didn't want to face him... was it my fault? It had to be. I think ...think I loved her. I feel a droplet of something wet hit my hand and I reach up to my face. Tears are streaming down it and I find myself shocked at my overwhelming sadness. I feel myself get pulled into a hug.
"I don't know what you remember kiddo but, it wasn't yer fault! Ya hear? It wasn't yer fault! No one could control that girl. Not even me... her own failure of a father."
Oh. There it is. It was his daughter. I got his daughter killed didn't i? I know he says it wasn't my fault but-but... i literally have her limbs! Something bad, something real bad must've happened. Before I knew what I was doing I spoke
"I'm sorry."
He hugged me tighter.
"There you go again, always apologizin for stuff you can't control. Guess some things just don't change, huh kiddo?"
I look at him confused and go to ask what he means but  the sound of a car pulling into the driveway beside the house caught both of our attention.  A slightly fearful look overcame the cowboys face and he spoke
"Well, shit..."