chapter 5

Taehyung stepped out of the room.

Jungkook needed only those 120 seconds of Taehyung's absence to search the room. It was a fool's errand, really, to believe Taehyung would leave the crown, the very reason Jungkook had partnered with him, lying out in the open. Still, he ransacked every drawer and cupboard.

"Ahem," Taehyung's voice boomed, loud and clear. Jungkook whirled around to see him leaning against the doorway, a smirk playing on his lips. "Not that stupid"

"I wasn't—" Jungkook sputtered.

"Save it," Taehyung interrupted, swinging a satchel on his shoulder. "I've got the essentials. Now, if you're so desperate for the crown, lead me to your precious friend, and the sooner the better."

"Fine," Jungkook grumbled, accepting defeat.

Together, they made their way towards the window. Stepping onto the sill, Jungkook glanced at Taehyung. 

"You want us to jump out? Don't you have a door? You know, like a normal house?""

"Of course I do," Taehyung retorted, lowering a rope.

"Great, let's use it then" Jungkook huffed.

"It's sealed shut," Taehyung muttered, his gaze flitting nervously towards the shadows.

Jungkook frowned. Why sealed? Had Taehyung done it, or someone else? The questions snagged in his throat, choking off his retort.

The crown. He needs the crown. He cannot afford to ask these questions.

He sighed, clambering down the rope after Taehyung. As they crossed the moonlit fields, Jungkook filled the silence with chatter, trying to ease the unsettling tension that simmered in the air. But Taehyung barely acknowledged him, his eyes darting from tree to bush, like a creature unused to open daylight.

"There's no need to worry," Jungkook finally blurted.

"What?" Taehyung snapped, eyes wide.

"You keep looking around as if someone's following us. There's nobody here."

"No. That's not it," Taehyung shook his head, his eyes darting everywhere. "Do you even know where your friend might be?"

"I have a good guess. Let us check there first," Jungkook replied. However, he couldn't shake off a sense of unease about Taehyung's behavior.

A rustle in the bushes sent them both lunging back.

"What was that?!" Taehyung hissed, his voice raw with fear.

"don't worry, could be just an animal" Jungkook muttered, through his own nerves.

"Check" Taehyung urged, a tremor in his voice.

Before Jungkook could argue, something burst from the undergrowth, sending them sprawling.

"THAT THING!" Taehyung shrieked, shoving Jungkook aside.

"It's a bunny," Jungkook said, bewildered, watching the fluffy creature hop to halt in front of them. He turned to Taehyung, whose face was contorted in a mixture of awe and confusion. "A rabbit?" he added.

Taehyung blinked, taking a closer look. "Wait... now that I see it properly, it is rather adorable. But also... strange."

Jungkook focused on Taehyung, finding something oddly amusing in his reaction. For a moment, he forgot their situation, captivated by this boy who seemed  surprised by the world around him. Then, reality snapped back, pulling his gaze back to the tree ahead. A  paper pinned on the trunk. Jungkook rushed forward, tearing it down.