chapter 6

"What in the world was that?"

"We're alive."

"Your hair glows," Jungkook stated matter-of-factly.

"We're alive," Taehyung grinned at the sky. He got to his feet, genuinely happy that he had saved someone's life.

"Your hair actually glows!" Jungkook exclaimed as the realization settled in.

"We are actually alive. It's great!"

"Oh my god, your hair glows!"

"Jungkook."

"I'm out of here."

"Jungkook."

Jungkook attempted to walk away, but his pants got caught on a log. He struggled to pull them free, but it wouldn't budge.

"Jungkook, listen."

"No!"

"Okay, then just watch." Taehyung pressed his hand on the log and closed his eyes; his hair glowed again. The log turned to dust right before Jungkook's eyes, releasing his pants.

"This is crazy! I mean, I have seen a lot of crazy stuff, and even by my standards, this is crazy," Jungkook stepped back.

Taehyung didn't move, didn't say a word, his eyes fixated on the ash. "I am still a human. I—I just have these—" he struggled to find the words.

"Powers?" Jungkook asked.

"Curse." Taehyung never wanted this abnormality. It could be a power or it could be a curse; he never wanted it, but he had to live with it.

Jungkook's breathing became normal again. "If you have this power, then you could have stolen the star yourself. Hell, you could have stolen anything you want."

"That's your first thought upon finding this out!?" Taehyung asked, visibly confused.

"No," Jungkook looked at Taehyung's hair, "My first thought was that your hair glows."

"I do not have much experience talking to anyone other than my father, but you are by far the strangest one."

"Says the one with the glowing hair," Jungkook scoffed. "Wait, Father? You have a father? He knows about this?"

"Yes. I live with him in the tower."

"The sealed door," Jungkook remembered, "it was to keep you in."

"Yes," Taehyung said. "Look, my power won't kill you. It cannot kill anyone."

"Oh. That's great," Jungkook relaxed a little.

"But I will kill you with a knife if you do not get me the Star of Eden," Taehyung seethed.

Jungkook grinned, "Yeah, somehow, I don't find you threatening at all." He studied Taehyung's face, "Anyways, I cannot be bothered by thinking too much. I'll get you the star; you get me the crown. We part ways and never speak of it again."

"Sounds good to me."

"Let's find a safe place to stay in the woods tonight. It's getting dark; we better hurry and find some firewood."

"I am more capable at night. I thought you were too; after all, you are a thief. I guess you are just a baby who needs to sleep on time."

"Whoa, whoa, I am more than capable too!" Jungkook argued. "I almost died today. Twice! Because of you. I deserve a rest."

"Fine."                                                                

    ***

    ***

Yoongi

After a while of searching with Hoseok, Yoongi sent him back to the kingdom. He wandered on his own for a while and his thirst and hunger led him to a tavern.

The big wooden door creaked open, and Yoongi entered a noisy tavern. He looked worn out and sad, his face showing how disappointed he was.

With a heavy sigh, Yoongi walked to the bar. He ordered a drink and couldn't help thinking about the clever thief who had outsmarted him.

A young boy, about ten years old, came out from the kitchen carrying a tray full of food and drinks. He nervously weaved through the busy tavern and accidentally bumped into a big, drunk man.

"I'm so sorry sir!" the boy stammered.

The drunk man, who had clearly had too much to drink, grabbed the boy's shirt and yelled, "Watch where you're going, you little brat!!" He squeezed the boy's neck so hard that it hurt.

Yoongi was about to reach for his sword, ready to help, when suddenly, an apple flew through the air and hit the drunk man on the head. The man yelped in surprise and let go of the boy as he stumbled back.

A man with a playful look in his eyes was sitting nearby with his feet up on the table. His hair partly covered his eyebrows. His cheeks had a rosy tint that matched his plump lips. He had thrown the apple like it was no big deal and looked as calm as if he'd swatted a fly.

"Give the kid a break," he said casually, "He already said he was sorry."

The drunk man, still angry and red-faced, glared at the man and asked, "Who do you think you are, a knight from the palace?"

The man rolled his eyes, a little annoyed. "I don't have a stick up my butt," he replied. "I only stepped in because things were getting chaotic, and I wanted to enjoy my drink in peace."

When the drunk man finally walked away, grumbling to himself, the man picked up the fallen tray and gently handed it back to the boy. "Here you go," he said with a friendly smile. "Just be more careful next time."

The boy nodded gratefully, his eyes filled with admiration. "Thanks, mister," he whispered.

Yoongi watched as the man returned to his table. Although he seemed laid-back, there was something about him that showed he had a good heart. It reminded Yoongi that even in a world of tough knights and tricky thieves, there were still people who could surprise you with their kindness.

Jimin returned to table, . While he may have been known as a thief, Jimin couldn't stand seeing violence inflicted upon innocent people, especially a child. It was one of his own unwritten rules - protect the defenseless.

As Jimin leaned back in his chair, he felt someone sit at the table next to his. He didn't pay much attention, assuming it was just another patron looking for a quiet drink.

The man cleared his throat, "so why do you think all knights have a stick up their butt?"

Jimin replied with a sly grin, his eyes locked on his drink. "Well, it's as if they've got a never-ending supply of righteousness," he mused, "like they've all read from the same script and can't break character."

As he slowly turned his gaze to meet the man's eyes, Jimin's playful expression faded. His smirk disappeared. He didn't have to look at the symbol on the man's sword to know that he was a knight. it was evident in every aspect of the man. But more than that, Jimin knew precisely who he was. How could he possibly erase the memory of the one he had repeatedly outsmarted? Those encounters had marked his memory, leaving an impression that couldn't be erased.

He had always felt confident and clever when he outwitted the knight in the past, but now, facing him head-on in the tavern, he was filled with an unfamiliar sense of vulnerability. Only a day ago he had a close call, he ended up under him and his gut told him that he was going to end up like that again. Possibly in more than one way.