Chapter 19

"Find her. Do whatever it takes. I want her found before tomorrow night?" Ruslan bellowed, as he watched the lights of the harbour from his terrace.

Nikolay had met him back at the penthouse after taking care of Rodomir's body.

"Sasha's working on it," Nikolay said. "He's trying to get into the NU database."

He waited before continuing.

"How did you know who she was? It was dark?"

"I recognised her from the club."

Nikolay seemed unconvinced.

"Do you know where all the dancers go to college?" he pushed.

Ruslan shot him an annoyed look before his features softened.

"I slept with her a few months ago," he said, his back to Nikolay as he took a sip of the Vodka he held in his hand. 

"Is this Abigail, the same Abigail that refused the 5000 dollars? The one who served us a few months ago."

"That's the one."

Nikolay looked confused.

He went to the bar and poured himself a drink before sitting down.

"I'm confused. When did you sleep with her. She didn't dance for 5000 dollars but she fucked you for free later? Why would she do that? She looked like she was terrified of you that day. Of all of us."

Ruslan took another sip of his drink.

"You've got a lot to learn my brother." Ruslan said, looking out at the harbour lights.

"When I offered to pay her, it was going to be on my terms. Women like her, they don't like to be told what to do.  When we met the second time... she thought I didn't recognise her and so it was on her terms."

"How did you recognise her? She looks like a malysh without makeup and that wig she wears."

"I'd seen her on stage enough times to know who she was, wig or no wig."

"Where did you see her again? You haven't been back to the club since."

"I ran into her somewhere else."

"Where?" Nikolay said, not willing to accept Ruslan's vague answers tonight as he normally would.

"2.7 million people in Chicago and you run into her? C'mon Rus! That's too much of a coincidence for anyone to believe."

"I don't believe in coincidences, Niko, he said, turning around to sit opposite him.

"I saw her at Anush's. I was having dinner with Danil when she walked in."

"Just like that?"

"Just like that. She sat at the bar for a while. She was waiting for friends.  Some guy hit on her and I watched her politely tell him she wasn't interested, but the fucker wasn't taking no for an answer. So I gave her a hand."

"A hand or a fist?"

Ruslan smiled.

"Niko... you know I don't condone violence around women and children, unless it is necessary."

"And she slept with you?" Niko's voice was incredulous.

"I brought her back here at the end of the night. She thought I didn't recognise her."