1 - Clockwork

Elizabeth

As usual, everyday like clockwork I wake up in the morning, bathe, prepare breakfast for my husband and of course, myself.

And then I do a few house chores that needed to be done.

No, I do not have a job because I am a housewife, I stay at home.

"Morning." My husband greets behind me as he trudges down to the kitchen for his breakfast.

"Good morning, I made bacon and eggs." I greeted back, handing him a plate of food and his hot morning coffee.

"Thanks." He said as I sat my self down across from him and ate my breakfast as did he while reading the newspaper.

We didn't talk, we barely do. He's not a bad husband, he's just busy that's all.

After a few minutes he finished his breakfast before me, and goes off to brush his teeth in our bathroom.

Everyday was a routine. I wake up at exactly 6:00am and bathe for 15 minutes and then he wakes up and showers, I go downstairs to prepare food and then he comes down to eat and then he leaves.

How boring.

But a lifestyle full of predictability is much better than living a life where everything is unexpected.

"I'm leaving." He says, before grabbing his coat and car keys and leaving the house.

Normal husbands would kiss their wife before they go off.

But then again, we were never normal, now we're we?

I sigh a deep breath as I finally finish my food and put it in the basin as I wash the dishes.

3 years ago

"Ladies and gentlemen, we have arrived at our destination. Thank you for flying with us today." I hear the pilot say as the passengers, including I, take off our seatbelts and, with order, leave the aircraft.

Los Angeles, here I am.

I sure hope I don't get caught by airport security.

I was an immigrant, an illegal one.

But I had friends, ones that knew how to forge passports and all sort of things.

What a shame I had to leave them.

I saw no future for me back in London, I was, after all, an orphan.

No family, no money and a shitty education.

There was no hope.

The good news was that airport security didn't bother to check for false passports and just let me in through.

My visa said that I was a tourist who was only here to visit for two weeks.

Which is not a lot of time to disappear in this city before they deport me back.

I take my luggage out of the conveyor belt and turned to walk away before bumping into someone.