Chapter Twenty-Six

💕Author's Note: Hey, gorgeous! Read ahead (over 100 chapters) by becoming a patron at www.EmendedHearts.com/join

💗💗💗

Okay, I'm pretty sure my eyebrows just jumped off my face and into my hairline—kind of like how Liam's wanted to just moments earlier.

My feet are immediately frozen in place, almost as if they've been physically cemented to the floor. My legs feel foreign, like a pair of oversized ice blocks, their weight suddenly too heavy for the rest of my body.

A surge of ice shoots through them and flares throughout the rest of my body, making an especially notable impact as it slithers through my spine, and I know it's not because of the onslaught of cold wind now blowing over me.

Icy blue eyes keep me paralyzed and mute for several moments, and I swear my voice just left with the last gust of wind that came my way.

I feel my eyelids stretching themselves to the point of discomfort in an effort to accommodate the quickly-widening eyeballs within them. I'm even unable to blink as I behold the tall, imposing man standing at my grandmother's doorstep.

"Doctor Frost?" I choke out before I even realize I'm saying the words. I don't even know when—or how—I'm able to get my voice back.

"Hello, Ramona," I hear him say, his own voice deep and almost sinister.

The scowl on his face quickly gives way for a more neutral expression. He clears his throat, easily removing me from my dreamy stupor.

"You mind if I come in?" he says. It's really not a question. Not with the way it sounds coming out of his good-looking mouth.

"S-sure," I stutter, giving way for him to enter.

He walks right by me, and for two wonderfully torturous seconds, his body ever so slightly brushes against mine as he does. My flesh tightens as rigid goosebumps form all over my skin, and once again, it's not the weather's doing.

As I close the door behind us, I can feel my heart pounding in my chest like an oversized drum, and the pounding echoes wildly throughout my body, reverberating with so much force in my head, and shamelessly between my legs.

Despite the protests of my brain, his highly unexpected presence here is clearly a treat for the rest of my body—especially my treacherous pussy.

But as I turn back to face him, I have to wonder, why is he here?

And suddenly, it clicks.

Oh, no...

Does he have news about my visit and the endoscopy and what the issue could be? This is not the time or the place to discuss my health. But then, why would he come all this way? It has to be serious.

Oh, God...

Without thinking, I grab his hand and rush him over to the corner. I'm frantic and desperate and not really thinking rationally.

"You can't tell her!" I whisper, although I think it comes off more like a threatening hiss. I'm trying to keep my voice down but I can quickly feel my panic getting the better of me.

"Excuse me?" he looks incredulous, and probably a little annoyed. His icy eyes dart down to my frantic hold on his sleeve and then back up to my own wide, pleading one.

"Don't tell her about my appointment with you," I whisper in desperation, my eyes darting behind him every so often for any sign of Gran or anyone else who might be within earshot of our conversation.