Chapter Twenty-Seven

💕Author's Note: Hey, gorgeous! Read ahead (over 100 chapters) by becoming a patron at www.EmendedHearts.com/join

💗💗💗

Just then, I see Gran coming through the back door from the corner of my eye.

I turn toward her. She looks worried, distressed almost, but as soon as she meets my eyes, she quickly changes her expression and offers up a smile.

I frown slightly, wondering why she looked so distraught just a second ago. She's trying to hide something from me. I know it. But I also know, that as stubborn and headstrong as she is, she won't tell me what it is.

As she walks up to us, her attention turns completely to Doctor Frost, and she has to tilt her head back to actually look up at him.

"Well, hello young man," she says smiling.

He offers a smile of his own, the cold expression he had for Liam just a moment ago completely gone from his handsome face.

"Hello, Mrs. Gallo," he says, extending his hand to her. "My name is Dexter Frost," he continues. "I apologize for my timing, but I would be remiss if I didn't pay my respects to your late husband. He was such a renowned and inspirational icon. Like so many others, I and my whole family have so much respect and admiration for him."

"Oh, nonsense! You have nothing to apologize for," Gran admonishes, waving her hand. "Thank you so much for thinking of him and for coming here despite the weather. I know it must not have been easy." She takes his hand in both of hers and gently squeezes, still smiling in gratitude.

"Of course, Mrs. Gallo. The honor is mine. Really," he says.

She releases his hand, and her attention turns to me once more.

"Ramona, what are you doing? Offer our guest something to drink," she says.

Suddenly, I feel flustered by her words. Why does she have to go and put me on blast in front of him like that? As if I don't already feel self-conscious whenever I'm around him as it is. Granted, I'd completely forgotten to offer him any refreshments, but how could I when my mind's been busy trying to figure out why he's here in the first place?

"Oh, I-I'm sorry. Uh, what would you like to drink?" I ask, trying not to show how embarrassed I feel and trying to keep my wacky nerves under control.

"Thank you, but I can't stay long," he says. "I should be leaving soon. I have to be at work in a few hours."

"Already? But you just got here!" Gran admonishes.

"Really, it's no trouble at all," he assures her, his voice even and deep. "I just came to show my support."

I don't know how he can sound so polite and so firm and assertive at the same time.

Gran eventually nods in understanding. "Well, alright. If that's the case, then I appreciate you coming even more," she smiles.

The whole thing is just so confusing to me. She obviously doesn't know him. It's just so strange that he's here, especially when Danny, the only person he claims to actually know, isn't here himself.

I have so many questions just ready to spill from my mouth, just waiting at the tip of my tongue to pour out of me.

"Ramona dear, would you get me a bottle of water?" Gran says, bringing my focus away from Doctor Frost and my questions surrounding his appearance here.

"Sure, Gran," I say simply.

I head back to the kitchen and grab a bottle of water from the fridge, and the whole while, my mind remains preoccupied with Dexter Frost.