Chapter Fifty-Seven

🌻Hey, gorgeous! You can read this episode and much more of DOCTOR-PATIENT CONFIDENTIALITY and other sizzling web series from Emended Hearts at www.emendedhearts.com or click the external link at the bottom of the page.🌻

💗💗💗

"Oh, my God, you scared the hell out of me!" I hiss, my words breathy and leaving my lips in a panicked rush.

It's as if she appeared out of nowhere. I brace my hand against my chest, willing my startled heart to slow down. She's the last person I expected to see, especially considering her department is way over on the other end of campus. I'm not really sure how to feel about seeing her here so unexpectedly. Something has to be wrong.

"Sorry," she simply offers, "but I really needed to talk to you." She sounds urgent, and I can see more than a hint of concern in her eyes.

I raise my brow. "You couldn't call or text me?"

She shakes her head. "I couldn't chance it. You know Bill's been suspicious of me lately and I can't have anything incriminating on my phone in case he manages to get his hands on it."

"Then put a security password on your phone or something," I admonish.

"You think with his IT skills he wouldn't be able to hack it? That's like child's play to him," she counters.

I sigh. She's right. Why the hell did she have to go date a damn techie? And a ridiculously smart one, at that? I can't even believe I'm having this conversation right now.

I look around tentatively, making sure Trixie or anyone else isn't in sight.

Gina lets out a sigh of her own. "Look, I know how difficult it is to be in your position," she says. "Believe me, I wouldn't ask you if I didn't absolutely have to."

Another sigh. "Fine. Make it quick," I say. "There's only a few minutes until the next bell goes off, and we can't be seen together. You know how word travels around here, and I don't want Trixie catching wind of any of this."

She nods, swallowing before she speaks. "I need your help," she begins. "I'll be heading out of the city this weekend for...for work." She gives me a knowing look, and her expression is somber, like that of a person flooded with guilt.

"I told Bill I'm going to Madison for an important sorority event. If he brings it up to you or mentions anything that sounds unusual about it, I need you to cover for me. "

"How am I supposed to do that?" I say, my own expression incredulous. "We barely know each other, and as far as he and Trixie are concerned, we've pretty much never even had an actual conversation. He'll think it's odd if I say anything, and it'll probably only raise his suspicions even more."

I continue to look around intermittently, my eyes darting left and right, making sure no one else is around as I try to keep my voice down.

"Look, I'm not telling you to bring me up or go into any details or anything like that," she explains, her shoulders slumped in a clear show of discomfort and perhaps even frustration. "Just try to assure him that I'm telling the truth in case he does. Tell him whatever you need to. Better yet, try to change the topic and get his mind off the whole thing if it comes to that."

A slight pause ensues, and I let out a deep sigh as her eyes continue to plead with me.

"I'll do what I can," I say finally, feeling sick to my stomach as I hear the words leave my mouth. "But we can't be seen together like this," I warn. "No more random middle of the day meetings. If you need to talk, come over to the Mushroom."

"Okay," she says, giving me one last nod of appreciation before she leaves.

Seconds after she's out of sight, the horn goes off, signaling the end of another class period, and my own cue to leave.

As I walk through the hallway, hearing the rowdy chorus of voices in the distance quickly becoming louder and louder as a stream of people shuffle through the hallways and corridors, I ask myself the same question for the millionth time;

What the fuck have I gotten myself into?

***

Hey, again! We'll post one chapter every Friday, but there are currently over 140 chapters in Season One, so this may take a while. If you just can't wait, you can read this episode and much more of DOCTOR-PATIENT CONFIDENTIALITY and other sizzling web series from Emended Hearts at www.emendedhearts.com or click the external link below.

👇🏿👇🏽👇🏼

Sign up for our Love Letter on our website www.emendedhearts.com. Your support is greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading! And don't forget to vote, share and comment! Love ya :).

XOXO,

Eme and the hearts at