Chapter Forty-One

💕Author's Note: Hey, gorgeous! Read ahead (over 100 chapters) by becoming a patron at www.EmendedHearts.com/join

💗💗💗

I stop mid-step as the words leave his mouth.

I whip around and face him again, my eyes boring holes into his head. "You son of a bitch—"

"Now, let's not get hostile, Raven," he says coolly, easily cutting me off and closing the distance between us once more.

He slides his hands into his pockets almost nonchalantly, and he sports a bored expression on his face. He seems pretty aloof, but obviously he's anything but since he can't seem to keep his irritating behind out of my business.

He looks me up and down for a moment, his eyes traveling all over me and scorching my skin with their intense gaze.

"I have no intention of letting your grandmother know what you do in your spare time," he says casually.

"This isn't what I do in my spare time!" I lash out. I realize I'm raising my voice, and I quickly tone it down for fear that someone will hear.

He continues to look at me intently, as if he's trying to observe something, almost as if he's assessing me.

He lets out a sigh before he continues. "This is the first time you're doing something like this, isn't it?" he finally says.

"What difference does that make?" I say, feeling annoyed beyond measure with him. "And more importantly, what's it to you?"

He shrugs. "You're my patient, and I take my oath very seriously as a medical practitioner. You have issues with your digestive tract and we don't know the severity of those issues yet. I'd advise against consuming any alcohol until further notice—"

"Are you fucking kidding me?," I hiss, my angry eyebrow arching so far up my forehead I'm afraid it may never come down again. "This is why you've been harassing me for the last half hour? Because I'm your patient?" I raise my hands, partly in surrender and partly in disbelief, but mostly because I'm not really sure what else to do with them right now. "You know what, you're not even my doctor," I say, shaking my head adamantly. "I just happened to get paired with you. If anything, Doctor Templin is my doctor and I'll be consulting him from now on."

I start to walk away again, but he stops me with his words once more.

"That's a shame. Doctor Templin will be out of the country for a few weeks, so you'll be waiting a while. And..."

"And?" I press. I'm annoyed that he's obviously stalling to piss me off. He clearly thinks that this is a game or something.

"And, I'd really hate for your sweet grandmother to catch wind of this...this news about you," he says, gesturing to the space around him to demonstrate the mansion, the nature of parties like this, and what exactly he's implying. "I can only imagine how disappointed she'll be when she finds out her favorite granddaughter is out trying to whore herself to rich men in the outskirts of the city—"

Before I even realize what I'm doing, it's already done. I'm on my tip toes and my palm connects soundly with the side of his face.

The impact makes a loud sound that cracks through the cold night air. I feel rather than see people look our way, and it becomes more obvious when a chorus of voices heads in our direction.

I don't want to look behind to confirm it. I don't want to keep standing in front of this unbelievable asshole. And I don't want to be in this fucking compound any longer.