𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

❀•°❀°•❀

❀•°❀°•❀

Delilah Lightwood typically was a social girl, at any gathering or social event she always tried to present herself in a welcoming manner. Since she was only a young child, she wanted people to like her. Of course in comparison to her siblings, Anna, bold, suave and approachable and Christopher, inventive, intelligent and sweet, Delilah felt ordinary.

Even when she sat with her friends, she didn't feel a part of the group. Her brother stood next to her. Despite her being a year older, he towered over her, while Thomas stood the same height as Delilah. The two conversed as Delilah stood there listening silently. It was clear that they were trying to include her in their conversation but Delilah wasn't fully concentrated, she was more fussed with the book in her hands, nervously fiddling with the pages.

The book in Delilah's hands was one she rarely left the comfort of her house without. The cover was old and battered but it held beauty within it. Each page was decorated with a work of art, varying from pencil drawings to watercolour paintings and everything in between that the pages could withstand.

"Isn't this a bore?" Delilah lifted her head at the new voice entering the conversation.

Matthew Fairchild.

The blonde boy wasn't someone who Delilah was particularly close to. In any group conversation, Matthew's attention was mostly diverted to Christopher or Thomas and he only offered Delilah a comment or two directed toward her. Delilah knew that the Fairchild boy was not particularly fond of her.

"Everybody here looks like a dolt. I am already in frightful agony, contemplating my wasted youth. Don't speak to me, or I shall break down and sob uncontrollably." Matthew was always one for theatrics.

"There, there," said Christopher, patting Matthew's shoulder. "What are you upset about again?"

"Your face, Lightwood." said Matthew, and elbowed him.

Christopher and Thomas both laughed while Delilah just offered a small smile. Matthew hadn't looked in her direction since he had arrived and she felt awkward. She guessed that he didn't even realise she was standing there.

"Er." A voice interrupted the quiet laughter, "Hello."

The group turned to the source of the voice. James Herondale stood there with what appeared to be a smile on his face, although Delilah couldn't tell as it looked as if he were in pain. James herondale. Delilah and Christopher's cousin. Delilah offered him a smile. It seemed to make him relax a little.

"Jamie Herondale, right?" Matthew drawled.

James bristled. "I prefer James."

"I'd prefer to be in a school devoted to art, beauty, and culture rather than in a ghastly stone shack in the middle of nowhere filled with louts who aspire to be nothing more than whacking demons with great big swords," said Matthew. "Yet here we are."