𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐒𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

❀•°❀°•❀

❀•°❀°•❀

The first thing Delilah had noticed when Matthew entered the room was his different attire of clothing. Before he was dressed in what he deemed his 'casual' clothes– which still consisted of a fancy waistcoat and pressed trousers. Now he wore a waistcoat that certainly wasn't cheap and clutched a silk hat in his hands, one that Delilah hadn't seen before. The soft blonde curls atop his head were windswept. Apparently the wind was kind to Matthew as each curl seemed to be perfectly placed.

"Lila," Matthew's smile was easy as he glanced at the Lightwood, his eyes scanned over her body. "If I knew we were having a fashion show, I would have worn my better waistcoat."

"A better waistcoat?" Delilah laughed. "What can possibly be better than that one?"

Matthew shrugged. "I would have found one."

"Not that I don't love seeing you, my dear, but if you were planning on pestering Anna, Cordelia and I, why didn't you say back at your house, I would have waited for you." Delilah said.

Matthew glanced at the sofa opposite Delilah's where Cordelia was perched. "What are you doing here?"

Cordelia's expression turned sour. "Having tea."

Matthew approached the sofa where Delilah sat and slumped down next to her, crossing his leg over the other and rested his hat on the space next to him. "I don't see Anna."

"She's in her bedroom," said Cordelia cooly.

Delilah fiddled with the hem of her top skirt. She wasn't sure why Matthew was acting the way he was, especially to Cordelia who had done nothing to provoke him.

"Alone?" Matthew inquired.

"Matthew!" called Anna from the bedroom. "Don't be awful."

Matthew perked up at the sound of Anna's voice and draped his arms over the back of the sofa, his hand brushing Delilah's shoulder. "I have already had a maddening day," he said.

Delilah lightly hit his chest. "You've spent a lot of the day with me."

Matthew's gaze fixated on her, his green eyes seeming bright in the lighting. His fingertips brushed her hair gently. "You could never be the reason for my maddening day. Though you were present to hear about most of my maddening day, apologies that you need to sit through it again, Lila."

"Get on with it!" Anna called from the bedroom.

"James has been slandered by Tatiana Blackthorn and my rotten older brother is backing her up to the hilt; James has gone off to rendezvous with Grace. I am here to get squiffy and try to forget what a foolish thing my parabatai is doing." He glanced at his watch. "Also, Lila and I have to be at Fleet Street by midnight."

Anna emerged from the bedroom in a black velvet coat, matching trousers, and a white silk shirt tied at the collar. Delilah let out a huff.

"If I knew that the both of you were going to look like you stepped out a fashion illustration, I would have left one of my nicer dresses here, Anna." Delilah complained.