𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐅𝐢𝐯𝐞

(UNEDITED)

(UNEDITED)

❀•°❀°•❀

Delilah practically carried Matthew to the ballroom. Her arm was tightly wrapped around his torso while his arm slumped over her shoulder. With her spare hand, Delilah held his wrist tightly knowing that if she didn't, Matthew would simply slip out of her hold. Her hair fell into her eyes and she tried her best to blow it away, she gradually got more agitated as her hair didn't do what she wanted it to.

While Delilah was slowly getting angrier, Matthew happily strolled by her side. This confused Delilah deeply. The demeanour he had shown outside of the institute was brief but Matthew had allowed his walls to fall, if only for a fraction of a second. There was something within Matthew that no one knew, Delilah had always known that, although she didn't know what it was – no one did.

By the time the two entered the ballroom, James, Thomas and Christopher were standing in the centre. At the sound of the arrival of Delilah and Matthew, attention turned to them. Concern flashed across James's face at the sight of his parabatai slumped across Delilah. The Lightwood girl released his hand and let him slump back into the wall, letting out a sigh of relief that she had managed to get him into the ballroom without injury to herself or him.

"We must bar the doors," said James. "They don't lock, and we can't be interrupted." James glanced at his parabatai. "Matthew, can you stand?"

"I am quite all right," he said, pushing himself from the wall and staggering over to a chair and fell into it. "Please continue with your plan." He squinted. "What was your plan?"

"I'll tell you in a moment," James said.

Christopher looked worriedly at Matthew. "Perhaps some water?"

"I'm quite all right," Matthew repeated.

"I found you drinking and singing in the Baybrooks' carriage!" Delilah exclaimed.

"It was private there," Matthew said. "And well-upholstered."

"At least it wasn't the Bridgestock's carriage, because they have already experienced enough tragedy today. Nothing bad has happened to the Baybrooks." said Christopher, with great sincerity.

"Nothing until now," James said. "Christopher, was everything all right, dropping off Miss Blackthorn?"

"Oh, perfectly," said Christopher. "I told her all about culturing bacteria, and she was so fascinated that she never spoke a word!"

Delilah cringed. She loved her brother dearly but she knew that one thing a woman wouldn't want to hear about is bacteria.

"Did you have to tell Mrs. Blackthorn what had happened at the park? She can't have been pleased."

Christopher shook his head. "I confess I didn't see her. Miss Blackthorn asked that I drop her at the gates, not the front door."

"She probably doesn't want anyone to see the state of the place," said Matthew, yawning. "The gates alone are festooned in rust."