𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝟣𝟥

ᗩᑎ ᗩᒪᗰOᔕT KIᔕᔕ

The stories that spread like wildfire across Hogwarts were getting harder and harder to believe. They were all theories of how Sirius Black got into the castle. Estella had revealed to Ariana that a Hufflepuff in third year thought Black could turn into a shrub. Although used to crazy rumours being celebrities, the girls could not fathom how something could go as far as this.

The Fat Lady's shredded canvas had been removed from the entrance to the common room and replaced with the portrait of Sir Cadogan and his fat grey pony. Sir Cadogan was an ancient knight who had been driven to insanity with paranoia. Nobody was very happy about this. Sir Cadogan spent half his time challenging people to duels, and the rest thinking up ridiculously complicated passwords, which he changed at least twice a day.

Seamus Finnigan had told the other Gryffindors what Percy Weasley told him about the knight being the only portrait brave enough to be guarding the Gryffindors.

Sir Cadogan, however, was the least of Ariana's problems. She and Harry were being closely watched. Teachers found excuses to walk along corridors with them, and Percy Weasley was tailing them almost everywhere like an extremely pompous guard dog. To top it all, Professor McGonagall summoned the two to her office, with such a somber expression on her face that they glanced at each other and grimaced, believing someone must have died.

"I don't understand why you're also having to go through this," Harry told her as they walked towards McGonagall's office. "I mean, we know Black is after me, but what does he have to do with you?"

Ariana exhaled sharply. She hated having to come up with new lies every time. "I'm not entirely sure..."
That wasn't technically a lie.

They knocked on the door to McGonagall's office and entered, Ariana melting into the shadows as Harry was targeted first.

"There's no point hiding it from you any longer, Potter," she began in a very serious voice. "I know this will come as a shock to you, but Sirius Black --"

"I know he's after me," said Harry wearily. "I heard Ron's dad telling his mum. Mr. Weasley works for the Ministry of Magic. "

Professor McGonagall seemed very taken aback. She stared at Harry for a moment or two, then said, "I see!"

She then turned to Ariana, who had been awkwardly standing in the corner.

"And you, Ms. Sagewood, I have absolutely no idea what all you know by now and thus cannot risk telling you anything except for the fact that Black may come for you too, which you are most probably already aware of."

Harry scrunched up his eyebrows. "Wait, what is she-"

"Professor," Ariana interrupted. "I don't believe Black wants to harm me."

"We cannot be sure about that, in which case you'll both understand why I don't think it's a good idea for you to be practicing Quidditch in the evenings. Out on the field with only your team members, it's very exposed, and --"

"We've got our first match on Saturday!" said Harry, outraged. 

"We've got to train, Professor!" Ariana added desperately.

Professor McGonagall considered them intently. The students knew she was deeply interested in the Gryffindor team's prospects; it had been she, after all, who'd suggested Harry as Seeker in the first place. Ariana had been hexed very badly by a Slytherin seventh year back in her third year about two weeks before a match, and could not play. Madam Pomfrey was astounded by the spell as she was unable to help Ariana recover any faster than two weeks and made her sit out the match. Oliver and the team were panicking when McGonagall came to them with Harry, who just sort of stuck afterwards.

"Hmm. . . "
Professor McGonagall stood up and stared out of the window at the Quidditch field, just visible through the rain. "Well. . . goodness knows, I'd like to see us win the Cup at last. . . but all the same, Potter, Sagewood. . . I'd be happier if a teacher were present. I'll ask Madam Hooch to oversee your training sessions."