Ch. 4 - Coffee and Tea

The school semester was passing rapidly, and before anyone knew it, it was already the end of October. Selene, while she saw no end to the gossip related to her last name, was gaining control back of her classes, and she was quite enjoying them. They had just started memorizing the constellations, Selene's favorite part of Astronomy; her constellation tattoos would light up at just their mere mention in class, and the students would "ooh" and "ahh" every single time. Remus also quite liked this part of Astronomy as well. He claimed that she had already helped him memorize them all. Selene had just blushed.

Selene had really begun to realize how fast time was passing by the time Halloween rolled around, and she said so to Remus that day as they were sitting in his office sharing a cup of coffee.

"I know what you mean," he responded. "It seems like only yesterday it was the Start-of-Term Feast."

She nodded emphatically, taking a sip of her coffee. "I'm telling you, your coffee beats all," she insisted, perched on the edge of Remus' desk.

He sat in his desk chair looking up at her and smiling. "I guess there's no point in me trying to get any work done while you're in here."

"I would hope not," she said, winking at him.

Remus grinned and shook his head. "Don't tease me, witch."

Selene merely smiled at him sweetly, just as someone walking past his open office door caught her eye. "Remus, was that Harry that I just saw walking by?"

Remus stood abruptly from his chair and strode over to his door, peering around it. "Harry?"

Because Remus was standing in the doorway, Selene couldn't see who was standing there, but she assumed that it was indeed Harry, since Remus continued speaking.

"What are you doing?" he asked curiously. "Where are Ron and Hermione?"

"Hogsmeade," came Harry's slightly dejected answer.

"Ah," Remus said. He paused for a moment, then stood aside in the doorway, allowing Selene to fully see Harry standing in the corridor. "Why don't you come in? Professor Black and I were just inspecting my delivery of a grindylow for my next lesson."

Selene hopped off of the desk and sat in an armchair against the wall, trying to look slightly less casual.

"A what?" Harry asked. He followed Remus into his office. "Oh, hello, Professor."

"Hiya, Harry," Selene responded brightly.

"Water demon," Remus said, answering Harry's question. "We shouldn't have much difficulty with him, not after the kappas. The trick is to break his grip. You notice abnormally long fingers? Strong, but very brittle."

Harry regarded the grindylow for a moment as it bared its teeth at the room's occupants and hid itself in some weeds in its container.

"Cup of coffee, Harry? Selene, er, Professor Black and I were just having some. Or maybe some tea, instead?" Remus asked.

"A cup of tea would be great, thanks," Harry said awkwardly.

Remus began searching around for his kettle, hopelessly moving stuff around his office looking for it. Selene merely reached under his desk and handed it to him immediately.

"Thank you," Remus said to her, his eyes merry. He tapped the kettle with his wand, steam pouring out of its spout quickly.

"Sit down, Harry," Selene said to him kindly, noticing his awkwardness. "Professor Lupin unfortunately only has teabags – he's not much of a tea-drinker – but I'd say you've had enough of tea leaves, yes?"