Ch. 77 - Chocolate Chip Muffins and Tea Bags

Selene's POV

To Selene's dismay, the Christmas holidays passed much faster than it had taken them to get there in the first place, and soon, it was time for she and Harry to head back to Hogwarts.

The morning they were supposed to leave, Remus and Selene had had a quiet morning in the kitchen, trying to enjoy the time they had left together before they'd be apart once again.

"Selene, did you eat the last chocolate chip muffin?"

Selene shrugged innocently, remembering how delicious that muffin had been the previous afternoon, warmed and smothered in sweetened cream. "No, Harry must have eaten it," she said, secretly triumphant about her very convincing straight-face. She knew Remus would never get angry with Harry over a muffin.

"Oh, alright," Remus said, though his eyes narrowed slightly at her, as if trying to pick apart her expression.

Selene hastily changed the subject. "I think we need to do something nice for your dad," she said, sipping her coffee quickly and gasping when she burnt her tongue. "You know, since he cooked that dinner for us on Christmas – which was wonderful, by the way. That treacle tart –?"

Remus laughed. "I know, Sel. You and Harry have been talking about that treacle tart for the past week and a half."

She sighed dreamily. "I could marry that treacle tart."

Remus shook his head, smiling. "So now that treacle tart's going to steal away my girlfriend? I'm gonna have to ask Dad not to make it again."

"Don't you dare," Selene said, waving her finger in his direction.

And then she realized the rest of what he had said.

"Your girlfriend? Back to labels now, are we?"

Remus raised his eyebrows and shrugged. "I figured it was most appropriate. You don't think so?"

Selene grinned. "I'll be your girlfriend."

Remus laughed, shaking his head.

"You know, last time you were my 'girlfriend,' we were fifteen, sixteen-year-olds at Hogwarts sneaking around in broom closets and having study dates in the library, getting in trouble with Madam Pince for snogging behind the bookshelves."

"Yeah, and don't think that Pince has forgotten about all of that," Selene said darkly. "She still gives me the ugliest looks every time I'm in the library, and we're colleagues now!"

"No, I think she does that now because you always forget to return the books you borrow," Remus said, quirking his brow at her.

"Shush, you," Selene said, shaking her head. Then she sighed. "Oh, Remus, I don't want to go back without you. Being together has been so nice."

"Well, I told you," Remus said, taking her hands and brushing his thumbs over her knuckles soothingly, "I'll be coming up to visit on the weekends. I won't be able to stand another few months apart."

Selene smiled, and she kissed his cheek. "I'm holding you to that, Remus."

"I promise," he said, squeezing her hands. "You'll see me so much that you might even get tired of me."

Selene shook her head, grinning. "Now you know that that's not possible."

Loud footsteps down the stairs signified that Harry was finally finished packing, and sure enough, Harry emerged into the kitchen a moment later, Hedwig's cage under his arm.

"Good morning," he said cheerfully, setting the snowy white owl's cage on the table and accepting a piece of toast that Remus offered him.

"Packed and ready?" Selene asked.