Ch. 105 - Malfoy Manor

Author's Note: I find it important to note here that from this point, we begin to deviate somewhat substantially from the canon, though not enough to truly affect the plot. Just thought I'd note that for some who may be confused! Happy reading!

Draco's POV

Malfoy Manor typically stood tall and imposing on the Wiltshire landscape, its rumbling moors encompassing a large patch of land that was carefully manicured and dotted with the signature Malfoy white peacocks. Its once proud stone walls were a symbol of aristocracy and wealth for anyone who would dare pass by and admire the scene, and the family that resided within had been stout protectors of their kingdom built on privilege and opportunity.

Now everything had changed, thought Draco Malfoy, who had once regarded his home as his pride and his status.

Now the Manor was his prison. A house of lies, of death. It was a horror show. It deserved to sit there and rot, and he hoped that the Death Eaters, as well as their leader who had taken it over, sat there and rotted in there with it.

Draco had once thought that he'd live out all of his days in Malfoy Manor, that one day he'd even come to preside over the house as the Malfoy heir. It had been his intended purpose for life, for everything that he said or did.

And then he'd met his Aunt Selene, and she'd changed everything.

Now the possibilities had been revealed to him.

He could follow interests and hobbies, he could make friends of all sorts. He could live in a cottage near a Muggle town and spend all of his days reading and playing Quidditch and doing anything his heart desired. He could go to Sunday dinners at his Aunt's house, and he could get to know his new cousin Hope.

He'd even make friends with bloody Potter if that's what it took to solidify the transformation from slave to Pureblood society to a traitor and free.

Even now, he was trading information for his aunt's forgiveness, for his chance at redemption, though there was still a little voice in his head whispering that he could be doing more.

The self-preservationist in him tried to deny the voice, but more and more, day after day, the voice grew louder, speaking to him about leaving the Death Eaters and running away, or freeing the prisoners in the dungeons below his feet.

Draco had gone down to the dungeons out of guilt at least every other day. However, Dean Thomas would turn his back on him. Ollivander would bow his head to avoid his eyes. The goblin Griphook would sneer.

But Luna Lovegood...

She would come to the door and talk to him through the bars, as if there wasn't a locked door separating them, as if she was just on holiday. She would tell him that she missed her father, and she would listen as Draco would tell her what was going on upstairs. He would be honest with her, and he wouldn't mince words. Eventually, Dean Thomas would come to the door to listen as well, and Draco could tell that Ollivander and the goblin were hanging onto his every word, even if they remained hidden in the shadows.

"I think Father's lost all of his power in the Dark Lord's ranks. No one respects him anymore, and he looks ill. And You-Know-Who, I think he only occupies the Manor to spite Father."

At the present moment, Draco was sitting cross-legged in front of the cell door, his head resting on his hands, staring forward at Luna and Dean's grimy faces.

"Serves him right, then," said Dean firmly. He was looking at Draco as if trying to gauge his reaction, like he was challenging him. "It seems that even You-Know-Who doesn't like a coward."