Ch. 89 - The Sky-High Pursuit

A few days later, Selene was doing her best to cover up her anxiety with her best show of confidence and mischief as she sat astride the newly-repaired motorbike in the street of Privet Drive. They had just arrived to take Harry back home, thirteen of the most willing members of the Order of the Phoenix. She honestly had no idea how this night would go, but her excitement to have Harry back – even though it had only been a mere two weeks – was overwhelming her.

And so, she pushed down her fear-induced nausea and the sinking feeling in her gut, and gripped the handlebars of the motorbike, so that gas roared through the engine, though the bike remained quite stationary. The loud growl that resulted echoed through the street, causing Selene to grin widely, and for her husband to merely shake his head at her antics, half-amused, half-exasperated.

Selene expected him to make some sort of snarky comment, but he had no opportunity, for Harry had thrown himself out of the back door of Number Four Privet Drive, looking around at all of them.

Selene slid off the large motorbike, and coming to approach Harry, she flung her arms around him.

"Hiya, Harry!" she said warmly, and Harry embraced her tightly. As she pulled back to look him in the face, she said, "Ready to go?"

"Definitely," said Harry, grinning at her and at the rest of them there. "But I wasn't expecting this many of you!"

"Change of plan," Moody said, stumping past them towards the house. "Let's get undercover before we talk you through it."

Harry followed him in, and the rest of them followed Harry. Remus appeared beside Selene, knitting their fingers together tightly.

Once inside the Dursleys' very neat sitting room, Harry looked around at everyone. There was Selene and Remus, Ron and Hermione, the Weasley twins, Bill and Fleur, Moody, Tonks, Arthur, Kingsley, and Mundungus. It was quite a crowd, and Selene could tell that Harry was still taken aback by how many people had come to his aid.

"Kingsley, I thought you were looking after the Muggle Prime Minister?" Harry called across the room.

"He can get along without me for one night," Kingsley said. "You're more important."

Harry smiled somewhat awkwardly at that, and then turned around again.

"I'm so glad to see you both," he said, looking at Selene and Remus. "I know it's only been two weeks, but I'd gotten used to the humble cottage-living."

Selene chuckled. "We've missed you, Harry – though we have some wonderful news!"

"You're really going to tell him now?" Remus asked, putting his hand on her waist.

"Oh, Remus, it's as good a time as any," Selene said earnestly. "Besides, I can't wait, I won't be able to stand it."

"Tell me what?" Harry asked, looking between them.

Selene grinned. "The Ministry's finalized your adoption paperwork. It's all done – you're ours, truly ours!"

Harry's eyes widened. "Are you – are you serious? I can't believe it!" He threw his arms around his parents, grinning widely. "This is so fantastic –"

"All right, all right, we'll have time for a cozy catch-up later!" Moody interrupted in a loud voice, causing Harry to release them hurriedly. The old ex-Auror dropped two very large sacks that he had been holding at his feet and looked around at them all. "As Dedalus had probably told you, we had to abandon Plan A. Pius Thicknesse has gone over, which gives us a big problem. He's made it an imprisonable offense to connect this house to the Floo Network, place a Portkey here, or Apparate in or out. All done in the name of your protection, to prevent You-Know-Who getting in at you. Absolutely pointless, seeing as your mother's charm does that already. What he's really done is stop you getting out of here safely.