Ch. 24 - The Pesky Skeeter

Selene woke up the next morning, and for a blissful five minutes, she had convinced herself that the previous night had been a dream. She was jolted back to reality, however, when she saw the letter she had written to send to Sirius, still sitting on her writing desk waiting to be posted.

Dear Sirius,

I assume that Harry is writing you as well, but I thought that I should also write to explain the disaster that is happening here at Hogwarts.

Harry's been chosen as a fourth champion for the tournament, and he says he's not put his name in, so someone else has done it for him. I'm assuming, as I'm sure you will as well, that this person does not have Harry's best interests at heart.

Sirius, I have no idea what to do. I'm going to try to keep a closer watch on him than usual, but Dumbledore says he's got to compete, and I'm worried that something will happen to him.

This, along with what happened at the Cup and the dream Harry had over the summer, is proving to be a bigger thing than I think either you or I had hoped for. Something's going on, and it's not just a coincidence, and I have a sneaking suspicion that Peter escaping with his sniveling, slimy skin might have started all of this.

Selene hadn't voiced that concern out loud, and she hadn't really tried to think about it too much either... but she knew it was probably true. They hadn't seen the last of Wormtail, and the traitor being in Harry's dream only confirmed that for Selene.

All that to say, I miss you, Sirius. I wish you were here. This godparent thing is a lot harder than James and Lily made it out to be. We were supposed to do it together, and that's been ruined.

I hope I don't make you feel guilty, but I'll say it again: I wish you were here.

With love,

Your worried wife, Selene

Selene dressed quickly, with the intention of making it to the Owlery to post her letter before she could run into any students. Unfortunately, it wasn't early enough, for when she reached the Owlery, two young figures were standing inside.

Selene breathed a sigh of relief, however, when she was close enough to see their faces.

It was Harry and Hermione.

"Hiya, Harry, Hermione," Selene said quietly.

They both turned quickly to look at her. Selene could see that Harry had a letter presumably to Sirius in his hand.

"Hi, Selene," they chorused, and Selene could tell that Harry seemed thoroughly put out.

"How is it going?" Selene asked quietly, looking expectantly at Harry.

Harry didn't answer, not meeting her eyes and frowning.

Hermione pursed her lips. "Harry and Ron are not on the best of terms right now."

"Why not?" Selene asked, concerned.

"He doesn't believe me!" Harry burst out. "He thinks I put my name in to be some – some attention-seeking idiot! As if I needed more of that!"

"Really?" Selene asked, furrowing her brow.

Hermione looked conflicted. "Well... I don't know if it's quite that... I think he's just jealous, and this is how he's choosing to express it."

Selene nodded understandingly. She wasn't quite sure what to say to that. She supposed being friends with Harry could be rather difficult at times. Harry did receive a lot of attention, and with Ron's large family, he didn't receive much to begin with. Even though she thought Ron was in the wrong, she could see how it'd be frustrating.