Ch. 5 - Quidditch Fan

If Selene thought the talk surrounding her association with Sirius Black was bad before, it was nothing compared to now. Students had no shame in theorizing loudly about whether or not Selene was secretly harboring her husband somewhere in the castle, or openly giving her odd looks in the halls. Every day was another challenge for Selene. Thankfully, something came up to take her mind off things.

"Can you believe that McGonagall has asked me to sit in on the Gryffindor Quidditch practices?" Selene said excitedly.

Remus smiled at her. "I'm very happy for you, but if you don't head out now, you'll miss it."

Selene got up from her place on the sofa, curled up next to him. "Fine, fine... I'm going, I'm going." She pressed a kiss to the side of his head. "Wait up for me."

"I was planning on it," he said, smiling softly to himself as she pressed another kiss to the side of his head.

"Bye!" she called to him, heading out the door.

Selene hurried down to the Quidditch pitch, just as the sun was starting to set.

They had already started practice by the time she got down there; Selene grinned, watching the brooms fly overhead.

"Professor!"

Oliver Wood was striding towards Selene with broomstick in hand. "McGonagall told me you were chaperoning our practice today." There was a slight bitterness in his tone; Selene was sure that he disagreed with needing a chaperone, and privately Selene understood, but it wasn't for him.

It was for Harry.

"Yes, I am," Selene said. "But don't worry, I'm not planning on interfering or anything. You can pretend like I'm not even here."

Oliver raised his eyebrows. "Actually, Professor, McGonagall let slip that you were a Quidditch captain back in your days at Hogwarts. I was hoping you could ref for us, maybe give us some tips?"

Selene grinned. "Good thing I brought my broomstick."

The rest of the practice was like something out of a dream for Selene. She really did feel like she was back at school playing Quidditch, shouting out tips to solidify formations and testing out new plays. Oliver would periodically stop practice to ask Selene questions, to which she would answer enthusiastically.

The best part was getting to see Harry play up close. He flew just as well as his father did, and if Selene was honest, she thought he was even better. James would've been proud.

The practice ended too quickly for Selene's taste. She flew down and dismounted her broom as the students headed to the showers, wishing she could have had just a little more time.

"Thanks, Professor!" Oliver called out to her, leaving the pitch with the rest of the team. There was another chorus of scattered thank you's from the other students.

"You're welcome!" Selene called back.

She began to head back to the castle herself but realized that someone had hung back to speak to her.

"Hiya, Harry," Selene said to him.

"Hi," Harry said shyly.

"Practice was great, today. Your flying is excellent," she said to him, trying to keep the proud tone out of her voice.

"Thanks. I didn't know you liked Quidditch, Professor," Harry said curiously.

"Liked Quidditch? I love it," Selene said, grinning. "Back in my days at school, I was a chaser and the Quidditch captain for the Slytherin team."