Ch. 50 - We Can't Be Together

Sirius' POV

In the days following Selene's return to Grimmauld Place, Sirius could not deny that he felt a little lighter as he roamed the dark halls of his wretched childhood home. He didn't know if it was due to the relief he felt from his and Selene's reconciliation, or the fact that the Christmas holidays were quickly approaching – meaning that headquarters would once again be lively with voices and laughter. Whatever the reason, Sirius felt happier than he had in ages, and he had no problem showing it.

"Do you think Selly would like some sugared pineapple for Christmas?" Sirius asked, twiddling his wand in his fingers. He glanced across the room at his lanky, sweater-clad friend, who had his nose buried in a book. Selene was nowhere to be seen, but Sirius knew she was in the upstairs parlour, composing a letter to Harry.

"Selene is allergic to pineapple," Remus said distractedly, turning another page in his novel.

"Oh," Sirius said, furrowing his brow. His wand, which he'd been twirling around aimlessly, flew out of his hands. "Well, what does she like?"

"Lemon drops are her favourite," Remus said, his eyes not looking away from the page he was reading, despite the fact that Sirius' wand had soared mere inches past his left ear.

Sirius rolled his eyes mockingly, a small smirk on his face. "Why'd she marry me and not you again?"

Remus finally looked up from his book, his eyes meeting Sirius' tiredly. "Ha, ha. Funny."

Sirius eyed him. "You remember our deal, right?"

"No," Remus said, feigning confusion. "What deal?"

Sirius grinned. "Oh, you've forgotten? Well, let me remind you, dear Moony." Sirius threw himself down on the other side of the sofa that Remus was lounging on, causing Remus to glance towards him irritably. "Our deal was that you rekindle things with our dear Selene or I show her just how charming of a husband I can be."

Remus groaned. "Sirius... even if I wanted to rekindle things with Selene, don't you think with her losing her job and everything, she may not want to think about that right now?"

Sirius waved a dismissive hand. "Sounds like an excuse to me."

"Sirius," Remus pleaded, "leave it alone, alright?"

"Leave what alone?"

Selene had returned, an oversized green jumper wrapped around her shoulders. Her silvery-blonde hair was plaited over her shoulder and secured with a bright red ribbon. Her round, sparkling blue eyes shifted between the two men quizzically.

"Moony's upset because I'm teasing him about his grey hair," Sirius amended seamlessly, a sly smile gracing his face.

Remus gave him the dirtiest look Sirius had ever seen on his face.

"Sirius, don't be mean," Selene said, frowning. "I like his grey hair, it makes him look mature."

"'Mature' is the polite way to say 'old,'" Sirius said, grinning at his friend. Remus rolled his eyes.

"Technically, we're all old," Selene said, pushing Sirius' shoulder lightly and shaking her head at him. "We're not teenagers anymore, Sirius. We're middle-aged."

"Well, I look good no matter what age," Sirius said, grinning. He slung an arm around her shoulders and pressed a kiss to the side of her head, ignoring the fluttery feeling that bubbled up in his stomach at the sight of the blush that dusted her cheeks. "Though, I must say, Selly. You certainly make thirty-six look gorgeous."

Selene's blush deepened. "Oh, well thank you, Siri–"

SNAP.

Remus had slammed his book shut, glaring at Sirius. "Sorry," he said in a hard voice.