Chapter Four

It's weird being back in the Ryan's Foundation Children's' Home. I'm the oldest, along with a Guy called Nick, he's very quiet. The house is holding about seven children including me, it's one of the smallest amounts I've been with for a while here. Everyone who was here last time is gone except for a little girl called Maia, she was seven the last time I was here but now she's grown a lot, she speaks more and laughs a lot. I didn't think anyone would recognise me but Amelia and Florin did immediately, they take care of the children living at the home, make sure they eat well, are safe, do their homework. Most children will have closer role models here then they will in foster families. Amelia immediately run to me with open arms, we hugged for a long time. She hadn't changed much, she had a few more visible smile lines and shorter hair then I remember. Florin gave me a smile and a quick nod, "it's great to see you again, Jess." I smiled back, I was close to saying, 'it's great to be back,' but we all knew that wasn't true. I could probably look after myself just as well as they would for me but because I still wasn't eighteen, I had to be here and I was practically taking up a space for a younger child who may desperately need a home. 

I used to play the 'maybe game', in my head when I was younger. I'd sometimes wonder how different my life would be if Mark never left, maybe then Maria wouldn't have been so depressed and dependent on alcohol, maybe then we could have all been a happy family. Maybe then I'd know Jayden and we'd be best friends. 

I learnt quickly that it wasn't a 'healthy' way of thinking, set unrealistic expectations and many regrets. I didn't play the game again.