Chapter Ten : Jayden

I woke up at eight am by loud obnoxious ABBA music blasting from downstairs. I half thought I was in a fever dream again or that I'd somehow had one of Jimmy's brownies but nope. Maria is in the kitchen, dancing and laughing, I walk in on her twirling Jessica to Waterloo. Jessica smiles nervously at me as Maria continues shout - singing. If I didn't know she was eighteen months sober I would have thought she'd gone on a bender the night before or something. 

But hey, maybe this is what families are like. Though, I've been 'in' many families and non had me waking up quite like this. My arm tingles a bit.  I forgot to rebandage it, fuck. Maria pulls me into whatever you can call this before I have a chance to move. "Don't you guys just love ABBA? It's how I met your father actually." Jessica and I catch each other's eye and stop dancing. Oblivious to this, Maria continues spinning around, giggling like a little girl. 

'You met him at an ABBA concert?" I ask. Maria stops dancing for a moment and looks at me. Her eyes are focused me but her mind is elsewhere. I study Jessica in the corner of my eye, she looks just as confused as I do. "Were ABBA even active then?" Jessica whispers to me as I slide into the seat next to her.
Maria continues twirling around.

''Do you think she's on something?"
"Pfft maybe"
"Maybe she's just happy." I look at Jessica and she's staring at Maria with a faint smile.
Maybe she's right. Maria could just be happy.