Chapter 6: Out of the Frying Pan and Into the Bomb Shelter

Purpledolpin05: Wow I can't believe it's been half a year already. Feels like 2023 just began and now it's July. Anyways, here's this month's chapter, hope you'll like the misadventures EJ and Cress are roping Ten through in the theater world.

Disclaimer: I do not own 'High School Musical: The Musical: The Series' or Ten from "Weightless". Ten and Jeonghan belong to my friend @zealous_light. I only own my original characters. Enjoy!

— — — — — — — — — — — —

Once the students all entered the Bomb Shelter, they were all amazed by the setup.

There was a circle of chairs set up in the middle of the room with name cards of the cast members.

"Epic!" Cress broke into a grin. This is definitely one of the more impressive readthrough setups. Their old drama teacher wasn't all that flashy, but then again their former teacher was no Broadway star like Miss Jenn.

EJ's eyes narrowed in annoyance when he noticed 'Troy' and 'Gabriella' were seated next to each other, while 'Chad' was seated next to 'Troy'.

"Can't believe that guy is sitting between you and your girlfriend." Cress frowned.

EJ walked forward (since the Male Lead has yet to arrive) and tried to swap the name cards. But then he caught sight of Ashlyn and Ten giving a disapproving look, and gave up on that idea.

Now, call Cress a petty person (because she is Petty and Proud of it), but she's all in on EJ's idea of switching seating charts to keep his current girlfriend and her ex as far apart from each other as possible.

"Could everyone get into their assigned seats?" Miss Jenn announced, clapping her hands together.

Cress looked glad enough that she was assigned right next to Ten, alongside the other teens who were casted as 'Troy's Basketball Team'.

"Kade! Kais! Laur! Y'all made it to the team!" Cress beamed, reaching a hand out to fist-bump 3 teens sitting beside her.

"Naturally. Still can't believe you decided to join." Kaison smiled.

"And let EJ hog all the spotlight for himself? Not a chance." Cress tried to introduce Ten to the other Dancers (Steph, Lauryn, Kaison, Kaden), "Have you met my favorite best friend, Ten? He's an amazing dancer!"

"I can hear your blatant favoritism halfway across the room, Cressie!" EJ called out from the other side.

Cress made a face back in response, causing a few others to giggle.

"Is he always like this?" Steph asked with quiet amazement. Many of them are used to EJ's unapproachable Golden Boy image. It was refreshing and surprising to see EJ messing around with his best friends (and even fewer moments like these with Ten).

And honestly, very few people have the privilege to see what her two friends are like behind the mask.

"Only when I'm around. I've been told I am the life of the party." Cress retorted.

"Don't forget to silence your phones." Miss Jenn reminded everyone.

Apparently, Natalie isn't feeling so well today so Big Red (being in the wrong place at the wrong time) had to substitute in to read stage directions.

Once everyone had settled in on their seats, Miss Jenn started talking, "I realize that you all walk in as strangers,"

"Actually, EJ's my cousin!" Ashlyn informed with a smile, EJ responded with a tight smile.