Chapter 9: Basketballs, I Choose You!

Welcome back to another monthly installment of 'Starburst'. A bit cheesy opening title that's a nod to Pokemon, but basketballs are a core element here. Or in other words, time to read about the monthly drama Ten is roped into the Theater Club by Cress and EJ.

Disclaimer: I do not own 'High School Musical: The Musical: The Series' or Ten from "Weightless". Ten and Jeonghan belong to my friend @zealous_light. I only own my original characters. Enjoy the chapter.

— — — — — — — — — — —

It was time for another after school rehearsals.

Apparently, EJ is planning to apologize to Nini for stealing her phone after the rehearsals are over, so Cress is hoping time could fly by sooner. That way, she can either congratulate EJ for doing the right thing or be there to console him if Nini refuses to take him back.

"Troy and Chad. Scene 45." Miss Jenn announced as she started the read-through for the day.

Ten put his books aside to join EJ for the scene. Cress placed down the basketball prop she and Big Red were making.

Big Red got assigned as one of the Prop Makers, and honestly Cress was grateful to have an extra set of helping hands. She'll be graduating next year and it'd be nice for someone else to take over, after she guides them through in setting budgets for the ingredients as well as making the props.

Big Red honestly seems like a fantastic candidate, Cress is aware that his family business focuses on food retail so he could be somewhat experienced in craftswork. She's seen him fold pizza boxes before, he's awesome!

(Yes, Cress may suck at a lot of things, Math surprisingly isn't one of them. She's somewhat decent at basic accounting because she usually keeps track of her weekly expenses)

"Let's take it from the top. And remember: these two are best friends. It's a sacred thing for reasons I'll never understand. Ready?" Miss Jenn reminded the two actors to stay in character as EJ and that Rat began their scene.

"We had a meeting about how we haven't been acting like a team, Troy." EJ began, "Us. Not you. And the singing thing..."

"I don't want to talk about it." Ricky replied, reading from the script.

"We just want you to know that we're gonna be there, cheering for you." EJ responded, playing as Chad.

'Nah dude, if the male lead is anything like that, I vote for throwing stuff in his general direction!' Cress bit back an insult, her amber eyes focused on the prop ball in her hands.

No matter how tempting it is to throw it at Ricky Bowen. But she's sure Ten would glue her limbs together before it can happen.

Yeah the acting between the two male leads are very stiff considering they're both enemies and love rivals. And who would blame them? Have you heard how irritating Ricky's voice is? It makes Cress want to bleach her eardrums with plutonium.

"Huh?" Ricky responded stiffly, as if he was lost or caught off-guard by EJ's lines.

'Seriously, how was he even casted as Troy Bolton?!' Ten frowned.

'Frogging Hell, this guy is hopeless!' Cress dug her nails into her skin in irritation.

"Win or lose, we're teammates." EJ sent a seemingly friendly punch at Ricky's shoulder, "Even if you turn out to be the worst singer in the world."

"And you're not going to hear me sing, cause Gabriella won't even talk to me, and I don't know why."

Well at least those lines kinda have some level of semi-emotional connection from a Jilted Ex.