Chapter 12: Settle for Me

I can't believe it's 2024 already. This month's been a lot for me so far (my grandma passed earlier this month, I also have Saturday shift tomorrow) but writing always helps relieve my stress. Yes, the chapter title is inspired by Crazy Ex Girlfriend's song "Settle for Me"

Disclaimer: I do not own 'High School Musical: The Musical: The Series' or Ten from "Weightless". Ten and Jeonghan belong to my friend @zealous_light. I only own my original characters. Enjoy the chapter.

— — — — — — — — — — — —

Friday (A.K.A. The Day of Homecoming Dance)

Lunch Time

While Cress loves to spend time with her two best friends, she decided to have lunch today with a couple of the girls from the theater department.

"Why is Nini flushing her dress in the bathroom?" Lumi Song took a seat next to some of her friends with a bewildered look on her face. Oh, what has society become these days?

"Been there, done that. Freshman year. Huxley Bronson. Burnt everything he's ever given me over the bonfire." Cress waved a hand at the news, promptly taking a big bite of her sandwich.

"Everything?" Marina eyed a bracelet Cress was wearing.

"Except fine jewelry." Cress shrugged, fiddling with her bracelet, "He may be a jerk but at least he's got refined taste in accessories."

"I get that the poor girl is 30 shades of pissed at Caswell, but why must she put such a lovely dress to waste?" Marissa Martinez however lamented over the poor dress.

"Case point: setting things on fire is a better way of literally drowning your sorrows." Cress deadpanned.

"Speaking of which, where is EJ?" Amelia Palmer wondered out loud.

"Meeting with the Student Counselors." Cress replied.

"Honestly, I've tried to ask Ten to be my date, but he redirected me to Kaden." Kennidee commented, withholding a sad sigh.

She and the rest of the girls (or whoever's marginally attracted to men) stole glances at Ten being asked out by another person.

"Pretty sure Kaden was gonna ask Ten to the dance too." Addie laughed, making light of the situation, "He had me help out with the banner and everything!"

Cress simply laughed in amusement at her friends' conversation.

Ten can be very oblivious when it comes to affections directed towards him, and somehow helps indirectly setting other people up romantically. Or assume the love letters he receives are 'for Cress and/or EJ themselves'.

"About time you and Kade do something together!" Lauryn laughed, wiggling her eyebrows at Kennidee. "Didn't you used to have the biggest crush on him when we were in 6th grade?"

"Don't remind me, Kenni once wrote 'Mr and Mrs Kaden and Kennidee Day' in her diary." Her younger brother Kitt (playing Coach Bolton) snorted.

"You read my diary?!" Kennidee roared at her brother.

"I just thought it was a very sadly written book." Kitt swiftly dodged his sister from smacking his shoulder. "Besides, if you didn't want me to read your diary, you shouldn't have left it out in the middle of the living room!"

"I'm gonna kill you." Kennidee cursed under her breath.

"You've been saying that since I was 3." Kitt countered with a smug grin.