Chapter 3

It'd been a while since that last incident. When Error returned these past few times you didn't notice any new injuries, but it didn't really make you feel any more at ease. If anything, it worried you more. Was he not injured because he'd escaped before the Stars arrived? Was he somehow healing somewhere first? Were the Stars planning something? Was he hiding injuries?

That last thought almost made you laugh. It really showed how paranoid not knowing was making you. You were tempted to ask, but you also saw no reason why he'd hide injuries from you in the first place, it's not like he'd care whether you knew or not, unless he felt you'd take advantage of his moments of weakness. Not like you were dumb enough to attempt something anyways, besides the fact that you had no reason to.

You liked Error. He may not be the nicest person, err skeleton... monster? out there, but so far he's been the only one around. That meant a lot to you, considering you didn't have anyone else here, and you thought that maybe in some small part of himself, he appreciated your company too. You hoped he did anyway, it'd be embarrassing if you were wrong.

Speaking of Error, you heard a portal and noticed he'd returned. "Sup, got any cool stories to share?" you teased, feeling a bit bolder. You still didn't know each other too well, but you felt that maybe you were at the stage of friendship where you could tease him and get away with all your limbs intact. You still treaded carefully, just in case, but your fear of dying had significantly lessened after that last ordeal. I mean, he let you sit on his beanbag, that's a big step up in your book.

Error scowled, but responded regardless. "Nothing except the usual, destroying more abominations, just like you," he snarked. Ouch, that actually hurt a little. At least he said anything at all, AND you didn't get directly threatened for it. Score. You'd have fist pumped if you didn't feel embarrassed at him probably noticing. You didn't really want him to give you weird looks, not that he hadn't already. You know, considering you were a living doll and all.

"Oof, that hit me right in the feels," you dramatically grasped your chest with a hand, flopped to the floor, and draped the other over your button eyes. He snorted. You both froze. Removing the hand over your face, you stared at him. He caught your gaze before averting his eyelights, frowning. "Did... did you just laugh?" You said, baffled and a touch awed.

"Tch, you wish, now leave me alone before I skewer you," he threatened. Marching stiffly past you, he sat in his beanbag, and using his strings brought over some knitting supplies. He summoned two bones, opened the window to Undernovela, and promptly ignored you, beginning another project. You were so surprised, you didn't even feel offended he'd threatened you after all.

Woah. You just made Error laugh. It was such a small thing, but the amount of accomplishment you felt for it was immense, especially considering it was the first time you'd heard it in person. Feeling giddy, you quickly got up and went to stand next to him. "I can't believe it! I got you, the moody grandma, to laugh!" You were so excited you didn't even consider filtering your words. He sputtered, dropping his project and glaring at you with offense.

"Who are you calling a GRANDMA?!" He shouted. Oops. You probably shouldn't have said that aloud. "Uhm... no one?" Your voice raised in pitch, making you cringe. Yeaah, he definitely didn't like that. His face darkened, before he started reaching for the lines on his cheeks.

"WOAH, you don't need to use tho-" You were cut off when he suddenly flicked a hand at you, wrapping you in a bundle of electric blue, glowing threads. You flew through the air, kicking and screaming. "I DIDN'T MEAN IT!" You screeched, desperately hoping he has mercy on you. After doing a few more circles, you lurched forward and stopped. Swaying, you felt dizzy. "I feel like I'm gonna be sick," you whined pathetically. You couldn't actually get sick, but you still felt your nonexistent gut clench.