Chapter 9

You sat anxiously in your beanbag, watching as Error took off his jacket and shirt to carefully peel away the bandages on his arms and around his ribcage. You'd offered to help him, but he'd insisted he didn't need any. You think he was still a bit vexed that you were "making" him ask for Nightmare's help. Really, you couldn't make him do anything, but he'd probably rather pretend he was forced into it instead of being convinced.

When he finally removed the last strip of cloth, you were shocked. His injuries were almost nonexistent now, and you would've gaped if you could. The cuts and scratches were gone completely, and the horrible gash that'd marred his spine was nothing more than a faint scar. If you weren't looking so closely, you would've missed it.

...how'd he heal so fast?! Even if he did heal, you expected more of a substantial visual effect. You wondered if maybe the magical food had done something, however little, if it was a side effect of being in the Anti-void for so long, or if it had to do with Error's natural constitution. You were a bit jealous, being nothing more than what you assumed was stuffing, you wouldn't have been left nearly as unscathed. You shuddered at the thought.

I guess this meant you could leave for Nightmare's castle sooner than you thought. While you were relieved that you didn't have to sit around waiting apprehensively anymore, you were still feeling very nervous. You really hoped Error would be able to keep his cool, otherwise, you were probably going to have to either escape, or risk staying to calm everyone involved. You weren't exactly looking to get skewed by some wayward projectiles.

You heard the rustle of fabric and looked over to see that Error had pulled back on his jacket and shirt and was adjusting the scarf he'd wrapped around his neck...when'd he get a scarf?? You decided to ignore that and spoke.

"If you're healed, I believe it's time we get going, delaying any longer could be dangerous," you said. He snorted, rolling his eyelights.

"Dangerous? Please, like anything could happen if we waited an hour more," he responded. You groaned, but didn't bother to refute him. Instead, you stood and walked a fair distance away from the area you both resided. You didn't want anything to somehow happen to your beanbag or his possessions. If something did, you didn't want to get yelled at for not warning him.

He moved to stand next to you and lifted his hand before pausing. Then, he looked down at you with a thoughtful expression. You gave him a confused look. Why was he waiting... and why was he looking at you like that?

"...should I hang Stitches from my belt again?" he mumbled to himself. You looked at him, deadpan.

"No, you shouldn't. Also, is that a nickname or something?" you asked, suddenly distracted by the fact he'd called you something he hadn't before. You were surprised, you thought you'd never be called anything other than abomination by him, even if you hoped you would. But back then he hadn't liked you, so you guessed it was a perk of being on friendly terms with him now. If you remembered your original name, perhaps you would have asked him to call you that...

He startled, before apparently realizing he'd said that out loud. A glowing blue blush formed on his cheekbones. He looked away from you.

"Tch, I can't keep calling you abomination, I use it too much," he grumbled with a scowl, "...unless you prefer that?" he asked, squinting at you suspiciously. You huffed.

"Of course I don't prefer that!" you shouted. Did he just assume you liked stuff like that? You can't believe it! When have you ever even remotely suggested that?! Irritated, you decided it best to move on and tell him how you'd rather get around.

"Nevermind that, how about I just hide in your scarf? If things get dicey I can just stay there until we portal away," you explained. He seemingly considered it, before nodding.