Chapter 6

The four stood opposite each other, the air radiating with tension. You watched with mounting fear as Dream readied his bow with cyan-blue arrows, Blue summoned a bone? hammer, and Ink's excitement grew as he raised his brush higher.

They waited, watching for who'd make the first move. Then, seemingly impatient, Ink dashed forward, swinging a glob of red paint at Error. He dodged, throwing a hand out and sending his threads flying. They wrapped around Ink's brush, dragging him forward as he held on.

When Ink was in close range, Error sent a fist at his skull. Ink ducked, grabbing the strings closer to his opponent before tugging Error in and sending a knee straight to his gut. You flinched as it barely missed you, wishing you'd been put somewhere a little safer than this belt.

Error gasped, the breath knocked out of him as his strings loosened and Ink sent him hurtling away with his brush. You briefly thought of how similar the pose was to a batter in baseball. Error slammed into a tree nearby, the snow falling off in clumps on his clothes. It obscured your vision for a moment, and as it cleared you saw Blue rushing towards you, or more specifically, Error.

When Blue was a few feet away, he leaped, his hammer shining as it closed in on you both from above. Error cursed, diving to the side. Blue's weapon grazed him before it slammed into the tree. It vibrated and tore a hole straight through it. You 'sweat' as the top of the tree toppled over, leaves rustling and wood creaking. That was one strong hit.

Error quickly shot up, summoning a sharp bone in his hand and preparing to stab at Blue. He didn't get the chance when suddenly, a glowing arrow flew at him, causing him to dart backward as it created a crater in the ground. You looked up, seeing Dream notch another arrow.

Error growled, frustrated as he hunched warily. "For being 'good' and 'honest' you all sure know how to outnumber a skeleton." Error grimaced, resulting in Ink's laughter. He wiped a nonexistent tear from his eye as he sighed good-naturedly, eyeing Error mischievously.

"Oh? I didn't think a bad guy would know anything about being honest," he said with feigned interest... what an asshole, you thought. You didn't cuss often, but you think Ink may have deserved it with his attitude.

Error scowled, a frown on his face. "That shows what you know...," he mumbled. You're sure no one but you heard him, and again felt bad for him. Ink had no idea what he was talking about, and the thought that Error had to hear stuff like this all the time pissed you off. If you weren't trying to be inconspicuous, you'd have attempted to flip Ink off and say some not-so-nice words.

"Hmm? Giving me the silent treatment now? And after all that talk too," he said in mock sadness. You noticed Error's fists clench in mute rage. If Ink didn't shut up, he might just do something rash, and you didn't want him to end up hurting himself in a reckless frenzy.

Being discreet, you elbowed Error's side in a quiet warning. His gaze flicked down to you, and his hands gradually relaxed as he took a deep breath, before releasing it. He was still irritated, but at least now he was aware that he shouldn't act hasty.

Error glared back at Ink, baring his teeth in a snarl. "You're one to talk, all you say is nonsense." He tensed as Ink's easygoing smile vanished, replaced by an emotionless expression. After a moment, his blank look subsided as a grin slowly spread on his face.

"I suppose I DO say some silly things, like how you're my arch nemesis," he said with a snort, "You can't be my enemy if I can defeat you so easily." He added with a yawn, lazily looking around with half-lidded sockets. Damn, you didn't know Ink could actually make insults like that, it made you feel begrudgingly impressed.