I Don't Need You

"You will spend the rest of your days... in the dungeons."

Odin's words have echoed through your head ever since the day Loki got sentenced.

You wish it hadn't been this way. You wish Loki would've told the truth as to why he attacked Midgard. But his pride and stubborn need to be right got in the way, as always.

You were given strict instructions from the All-father to stay away from your best friend, but there's no way you'll listen to that. Perhaps to Loki and everyone else you're just his friend... but in reality, he means so much more to you than that. You trust him with your secrets, your worries, your life; you only wish he could see you the way you see him.

But none of that matters now. With Frigga's help, you've been able to sneak down to the dungeons to visit him and bring him food and entertainment, but you're not sure how long you'll be able to keep doing it without being suspected by Odin. He knows of the mischief you used to get up to with Loki, and there's no doubt he doesn't trust you in the slightest to follow his rules.

Perhaps, for once, you should listen to him. After all, he is the All-father. He could bestow death upon you with a single wave of his hand, your heart being served to him on a golden platter for his supper. 

Although you don't think you could do that to Loki.

He already has enough on his plate... leaving him alone and giving him no reason for your absence could just kill him. 

It would also kill you.

Ever since Thor was banished, he was different. You hardly saw him; that was lonely enough. But when the news had spread saying he'd fallen from the Bifrost into the abyss? Your entire world came crashing down around you. You grieved for months and months, wishing you had told him your feelings, wishing you had spent more time with him. It felt as though your heart had been ripped from your chest and fed to a pack of wolves.

And then he was back. Rumours spread through Asgard like wildfire - you didn't know which stories were fake and which were true. Frigga eventually sat you down and explained it all. She told you of the events on Midgard and Loki's downfall, and how he is to be sentenced in a few days time.

That was two months ago.

Two months you've been sneaking down to the dungeons to check in and spend time with him. Finding out he's actually been alive this entire time had caused you to want to speak to him about... well, everything.

You'd missed having an understanding friend to talk to about the goings on in your life. And you'd missed the company he would give you. You'd planned on telling him everything you'd regretted keeping from him, but the words always seem to die on your tongue.

So you go down as much as possible. You hope that perhaps at some point the time will feel right; perhaps it will be just as magical as it is in the books, just in a slightly different situation.

You grab a few books you'd collected for him from the library and begin the long trek from your chambers to the dungeons. It always surprises you how well looked after the main floors of the palace are compared to the dungeons. You have no idea how Loki will survive the rest of his life down here...

Using a spell Frigga taught you, you manage to sneak past the guards and into the cold corridors of the dungeons. Monsters scrap behind the golden barriers, or just sit twiddling their thumbs. It's rare to find an Asgardian in this place.

You reveal yourself in front of Loki's cell, a beam plastering itself on your face. He sits reading a book on his thin mattress - as he usually does.

"Hello Loki," You greet. Usually he says something in return, or just simply smiles, but this time he does nothing. So, not wanting to squash your good mood with something that is probably nothing, you continue. "I brought some more books for you. One of them just so happens to be the exact one we read together when I was ill. Do you remember? It was about-"

"Why do you still come down here?" His harsh tone stops your speech, your heart feeling as if the strings holding it up have started to fray.

"Well I-"

"To gloat?" He sneers, placing his book down and walking up to the barrier. "Or perhaps it's pity?"

"No, of course it isn't! Why would you think that?"

"Then why? Why do you go to all the trouble to visit me? We both heard Odin tell you to stay away from this place!" His voice is cold, his manner uninviting. You've never seen him in such a way around you.

"Because I want to! I thought you'd like the company!" You reply, desperately trying to make him believe you.

"Well I don't!" He yells, each word slashing at you like a madman with a sword. "I don't need you at all!"

Tears well in your eyes, everything you thought you knew about the man you love crumbling beneath your fingertips.

"You're weak and pathetic. I'm a God! Do you even know what I did to Midgard?"

You scoff. "Of course I know! Do you really not care about how this whole thing affected me!? I thought you were dead!" Your voice gradually gets louder until you're close to shouting. "And then to be told that you were actually alive but you'd tried to rule over the innocent mortals!? It almost killed me! But I finally had hope. I finally had hope that you'd come back to me!"

Loki stays silent as tears stream down your face. He still doesn't get it. He still doesn't understand how much he means to you.

You swallow the lump in your throat as you prepare yourself for what you're about to say.

"I love you, okay!? I loved you before this whole mess and I still love you now... but I finally get it. I understand that my feelings aren't reciprocated. I just thought you should know before we never see each other again." You hiss the last sentence as you turn your back on the God and begin to walk back to the palace.

"Wait, Y/n please..." He calls after you, but you ignore it. 

He doesn't need you, so why should you go back?