Terrified

You're awoken by deep, incoherent mumbling. You can feel Loki shaking next to you and immediately know something's wrong.

"Loki?" You murmur, your voice cracked and groggy with sleep. You hesitantly place a hand on the sleeping God's shoulder and give it a light shake.

"No... no Y/n... I'm sorry..." They're the only words you can make out before he returns to the confused utterings of before.

Loki's nightmares don't occur often, but when they do, they typically involve his time with Thanos or losing the few he holds dear to him; occasionally both. Every time you hear his strangled cries of fear it feels as if your heart is being squeezed. You want to help; you want to take the dreams away and endure them yourself... but all you can do is hold him and try to reassure him that it isn't real.

"Loki, love, wake up," You shake him harder, his face scrunching as his mumblings become faster.

With a gasp, his eyes fly open and he sits up, breathing heavily. It seems to take a moment for him to gather his bearings, but when he does, you're right there beside him.

"Are you alright?" You ask, sliding your arms around him to pull him to your chest.

But he pushes you away.

"No, no... you have to get away from me," He pants, eyes wide.

"What? Love, it's ok. It was just a dream," You hold your arms out, giving him the option to fall into them as he usually does. He just shakes his head.

"You have to go, Y/n," His voice is gradually getting louder, his breathing quicker. You're feeling more and more hurt; more and more scared... you're worried by his actions: he never speaks to you like this, never tries to push you away.

"Loki-"

"Please Y/n,"

"But-"

"GET OUT!" As he yells, green sparks are sent from his hands and hit you directly in the chest. They send you flying to the other side of the room, your back hitting a shelving unit. You land in a crumpled heap on the floor, a whimper of pain escaping your lips as books rain down on top of you. 

Your brain doesn't allow you to move as you try to process what happened. 

He... he hit you with his magic. 

It must have been an accident. He would never willingly do that! Unless he did do it on purpose... 

You stay still, your face pressed against the carpet. It feels somewhat comforting, but for a reason you're unsure of. Books press into your back, but you make no effort to move them. You feel as if you're paralysed with shock.

A quiet voice speaks up. "Y/n?"

You suck in a breath and lift your sore head up. Loki still sits on the bed, his hands outstretched and shaking as he looks between them and you. 

He looks terrified.

Terrified of himself.

You've never seen him so scared. Granted, he's frightened after his other nightmares, but never like this. Even though the only light entering the room is from the moon outside the window, you can see how white his knuckles are, how he's trying desperately to keep his breathing and shaking under control.

You can tell he's fighting with himself: he wants to help you but doesn't want to harm you further.

"I-I'm okay, I'm okay," You try to reassure, scrambling to get up.

He seems to flinch at your clumsy movements, unsure of what to do. He clutches his hands tightly to his chest.

As soon as you're on your feet, you have to grab the wall to keep yourself upright. Your head is pounding on your skull, the world spinning slightly around you. You try to blink it away; you can't let it seem as if Loki's hurt you so badly that you can't even see properly.

Your swimming vision starts to focus. Loki keeps opening and closing his mouth, trying to say something but stopping short.

You take a cautious step forwards, but stop as you watch him move back so he's pressed against the headboard. Finally he's able to speak once more:

"Don't come any closer... please," His voice is hoarse, no doubt from fear.

"Loki, it's okay,"

"No, no it's not... I'm sorry, I'm so sorry..." He starts to cry, tears falling down his face in tiny waterfalls.

You want to jump into his arms. You want to hug and kiss him and tell him it's all alright. But he doesn't want you to come any closer. You don't want to heighten his fear.

He puts his face in his hands, your heart breaking in the process. You have to do something...

"Please let me come closer," You say quietly, tears of your own threatening to fall.

He looks back up at you, his face tearstained and blotchy.

"W-what if I hurt you again?"

You smile. "I don't care. You'll hurt me more if you don't let me help you,"

Reluctantly, he nods, and you run forwards, falling on the bed and wrapping his shaking form in your arms. You stay there for who knows how long, just holding each other until you feel him stop crying.

He sits up, inspecting you for injury despite the darkness of the room. You watch as his face falls.

"What is it?" You ask quietly.

"You're face is cut," He responds sadly, his thumb running over your cheek. You can't help wincing at the pain. "I'm so sorry, my love,"

"Lo, it's okay," Loki shakes his head at your words, looking down. You place your hands gently on his face and tilt his chin up so he's looking at you again. "Listen to me. It's okay. It wasn't your fault,"

"But I did it. I hurt you," His eyes well up with tears again. "I never want you to be hurt, least of all by me,"

"Blame the dream, not you. You have no control over your nightmares, even though I wish you did. I hate to think you have to deal with them,"

You bring his face closer to yours and press a kiss to his forehead, your lips lingering for a few moments longer than needed. He collapses back into your arms.

"You know," He says. "In my nightmare I... I... I killed you. That's why I wanted you to leave; I was so scared that I'd actually do it... but my fear got the best of me and I lost control. I really am sorry,"

"I know you are, love," You begin to play with his hair, your fingers running gently through the soft strands. "Please don't take this to heart. I love you so much,"

"I love you too," He mumbles in response, leaning up to kiss you.