All Good Things

This was an anonymous request on Tumblr:
"Can i request loki and the reader on their first date??"

Thanks for the request, I hope this is okay! :)

~★~

Butterflies dance in your stomach as you swipe your lipstick over your lips. It's almost time. Almost. And you're incredibly nervous. You'd hoped that Nat hyping you up earlier would settle the torment of crashing waves, but it seems not.

Loki invited you to his apartment for dinner tonight. He was so calm when he asked, while you had trouble getting a single syllable out to say yes. You've been best friends for a while, so there's a lot riding on this... if it doesn't work out then you could lose your friendship. But, then again, you're not sure how much longer your little crush could've stayed a secret - this has come at the right time, for better or for worse.

You take a deep breath, smoothing out the knee-length dress you wear (it's Loki's green - you're hoping he'll like it) and slipping your feet into some heels. Checking yourself in the mirror once more and slinging your bag over your shoulder, you ready yourself to leave.

It'll be fine.

The walk to Loki's place is a short one - no more than five minutes at most; you spend the entire time running over possible conversations in your head, wringing your hands together anxiously.

You reach his door and knock tentatively; the door opens almost instantly.

"Hey!" You greet, you face lighting up as you see him. Your heart flutters as you notice he's wearing a tuxedo, his hear gelled back neatly behind his ears. He looks... hotter than ever.

"Uh... I- hi," He stutters, a huge grin on his face. "You look stunning,"

You feel your cheeks grow warm. "Thank you... you don't look too bad yourself,"

He chuckles nervously, holding out a bouquet of red roses. "These are for you,"

You take them, admiring the scarlet petals and the lovely smell. "They're beautiful, thank you," You gasp, suddenly remembering something. "I'm so sorry! I meant to bring some wine but I completely forgot,"

"Do not fret, I have wine here. But thank you for the thought," He moves to the side. "Would you like to come in?"

You nod and step inside, thanking him as he takes your bag and puts it on the coat rack. He walks you through his apartment and into his living room, where he's set up a gorgeous table for two; it's covered in a pure white cloth, a single red rose in a vase in the centre of the table and two glasses of red wine and cutlery at each place. The only lighting in the room comes from a few lit candles, each one varying in size and smelling amazing.

Loki pulls out one of the chairs and gestures for you to sit down, taking the bouquet from you and placing it in an empty vase nearby (he said it's to 'keep them fresh and beautiful for you'). You're lost for words: he really has thought of everything.

"Make yourself comfortable," He says. "I'll go get the dinner,"

"Do you need any help?" You ask.

"No thank you. I want it to be perfect, so you don't have to do anything," He grins and walks out before you even have a chance to protest. 

Mere moments later, Loki comes back holding two plates loaded with food. He places them down on the table carefully.

"This looks amazing! Smells amazing too," You exclaim, knowing he made this himself. Even in the dim light, you can tell his cheeks have flushed red.

"Well, I hope you enjoy it,"

The conversation starts to flow easily after this, the both of you devouring your delicious meals - and it really is delicious; you'd never thought Loki could cook so well. But then again, he is good at most things, especially at making you happy. You don't think you've ever been this happy.

Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end: after hours, it's time for you to leave.

"Thank you so much for this," You say as you walk towards Loki's front door, your bouquet of roses clutched tightly in your hand. "It's been the best night of my life,"

Loki beams. "And mine too, thank you for coming,"

You wonder then if you should move in for a kiss. It's usual that most people kiss on their first date, right? But what if he doesn't want to? You don't want to make him uncomfortable...

The door opens, revealing cold droplets of water falling from the dark sky and landing in rippling puddles. You shiver as the cold of the night shudders down your spine. You sigh, not looking forward to the walk home.

"I suppose I shall see you soon," You say, turning to Loki - he seems to be searching for something.

"Wait," He runs back into the living room and returns holding a green zip-up hoodie and a black umbrella. He helps you put the jumper on and hands you the umbrella. "Hopefully that will help,"

He smiles a smile that melts your heart. "Thank you so much," You say.

"It's no problem at all! Have a good night,"

"And you," You step out and open the umbrella, turning to wave before starting your journey home.

It's quiet - the only sound is the calming patter of rain and the clack of your heels against the concrete. You feel extremely... contented; the smile hasn't left your lips for a single moment.

But it does disappear when you realise something's missing. Your bag. You freeze, wondering if you picked it up and dropped it, or just left it at Loki's... did you even bring it in the first place? Yes, you remember picking it up... then when you got to Loki's he put it on the coat rack and you didn't pick it up on the way out.

You mentally scold yourself for your forgetfulness, debating whether you should run back and grab it. You are closer to your place, but his is only a few minutes away... although it is rather late and you know Loki will look after it if you do leave it there.

"Y/n!" You turn around at the shout, your gaze meeting with a pair of piercing green eyes.

"Loki," You breathe, your heart beginning to hammer in your chest as he comes to a stop in front of you. You lift the umbrella so it covers him as well, although he's already soaked so you're not sure it'll do much. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, you forgot your bag," He takes the umbrella and hands it to you - it's somehow completely dry.

You sigh with relief. "Thank you so much, I was just wondering if I should run back to get it,"

"It's no problem at all," He wears a small smile, raindrops slipping slowly down his cheeks. His hair hangs in thick, wet strands in front of his face - before you realise what you're doing, you're slinging your bag over your shoulder and reaching up to tuck them behind his ears.

You smile involuntarily, your heart fluttering. He's so lovely and kind... how could anyone not love him? He ran through the rain to catch up with you, purely to give your bag back. There can't be many men out there who would willingly do that. 

He brings his hand up to softly caress your cheek, his eyes shining in the moonlight. Your heart hammers harder as he tilts your head up, leaning down so his soft lips meet your own. The kiss is tender and gentle - it's beautiful.

You pull away slightly after a while, your nose brushing against his. "You know, we're closer to my place than we are yours. How 'bout you come home with me?"

He grins, pressing a quick kiss to your forehead. "I'd like that,"

He interlocks his hand with yours, holding the umbrella above you both as you begin to walk back to your home.

Maybe not all good things have to come to an end...