What You'd Do

You've known for a while.

Everyday, he offers you tea. Everyday, it contains that same bitter tanginess that makes the world spin around you. Everyday, your feelings for him are heightened to the point where it's on the verge of hurting.

Why?

Why does he do it?

"Morning, Y/n," Loki greets as he walks into the kitchen.

You don't reply, the after effects from yesterday's dose of potion pounding at your head and screaming to be set free.

He walks into the room, a cup of tea cradled in his hands; it's no doubt spiked with the concoction he brews each night.

"Are you alright?" He asks, setting the drink down on the table in front of you. "I made you some tea,"

Still, you stay silent, your head turned to face the window, watching as raindrops splatter on the pane and race each other to the bottom.

"Y/n?"

His voice is etched with worry, each word hitting you as if he's throwing rocks. You didn't want to confront him for a while longer - you wanted to see if he'd finally do something - but you've had enough. This has to end.

"You forced me to love you," You reply quietly. You have so much more you want to say, but each word seems to disappear on your tongue. You see Loki take a step back out of the corner of your eye.

"You... you know?"

You scoff, finally turning to look at his bewildered face. "I've known for a while now,"

Loki tries to speak again, but clumsily stumbles over his words. He's clearly incredibly flustered; the God with the silver tongue never has trouble speaking. "And... and you kept drinking it?"

"I wanted to see what you'd do,"

Perhaps that's the thing that hurts the most. Not the fact he made you drink a love potion. Not the fact he didn't tell you. But the fact he never did anything with it.

It's almost as if he wants you to suffer.

He wants you to love him; to yearn for him. He wants you to hurt with the after effects, drink another dose then hurt again. He wants you to feel so dizzy in love with him that you can't think straight; can't focus.

An awkward silence falls over the both of you as you stare distastefully at the drink he'd made you.

"Why did you do it?" You eventually ask.

Loki lets out a heavy breath. "I- I don't know... I suppose I just-" He stops himself from finishing his sentence and looks down at his feet.

You wait for him to finish patiently, giving him enough time to regain his composure.

"I suppose I just wanted to feel loved,"

He's let his guard down. And for once you notice how he never does that around anyone else; only you. But his answer catches you off guard all the same. It feels as if he's just hit your heart with a hammer.

"I shouldn't have done it, I'm so sorry. I thought it would make me feel less lonely, but it only made it worse because I knew your feelings for me weren't real. Although it seems I was unable to stop giving you the tea... I was addicted," He has tears in his eyes as he speaks.

His words engrave themselves in your mind. 'Your feelings for me weren't real'. That's not true at all... 

You think back to the times you used to spend together before this, when you were best friends. You'd read together, play video games, go for walks and play pranks on his brother... everything you did made you fall head over heels for him. He didn't need to use a love potion to make you love him; he just needed to tell you his true feelings.

What he did still hurts you, but you can see the regret in his eyes and the way his right hand fiddles and scratches at his left. He's sorry. He knows he's made a mistake. And you being you can't just leave him to wallow in his own guilt.

He turns, no doubt wanting to leave as he mutters another apology.

Before you can stop yourself, you grab his arm. He stops and turns to face you.

"It wasn't fake," You say, somewhat hesitantly. "The potion merely... enhanced my feelings,"

His brow furrows in confusion, his eyes focused intently on you. You thread your hands in his.

"Did you do this purely to feel loved?" You ask, your voice sounding much smaller than you would have liked. "Or do you love me as much as I love you?"

He doesn't reply straight away; you can see him scanning your face for any evidence that you'd lied or made a joke. Clearly he found nothing as he responds:

"I love you,"

He's so quiet. You've never seen him like this before: stood in front of you, eyes filled with tears of regret and sorrow and worry, hands gripping yours so tightly he could probably snap them in half if he added any more pressure.

"I love you too," You reply, your bruised heart feeling as though it's being wrapped in bandages. You can tell it will take a while to heal, but, for once, you don't care. "I love you so much,"

A small, sad yet happy smile crawls onto Loki's face before he leans down and presses his lips to your own.