Chapter 03: Fragments

''RING... RING... RING...''

The phone rang incessantly.

''PICK THE PHONE UP! YOU ASSH##E!''

He opened his eyes to see his friend's furious face.

He was being yelled at to pick up the phone by his friend, who was driving the car. He was riding in one of his friends' cars and quickly searched for the phone to answer it.

His friend turned his head towards him and shouted.

''THE PHONE HAD BEEN RINGING FOR HOURS. Pick It Up.''

Suddenly, a bright light from behind caused his friend's face to slowly turn dark.

'CRASH....'

Then he floated weightlessly.

...

''Son... Son... Are you alright?"

He heard a familiar voice calling out to him. He opened his eyes to see his worried father standing over him, holding a wooden sword.

"Are you able to move? Stand up slowly if you can.'' His father said it reassuringly.

Suddenly, a bowl of water poured onto his face. He struggled to breathe.

''Are you okay? Brother?'' He saw his little sister's worried expression as she stood there, holding a bowl.

''Hey! You don't put water on someone's face when they're struggling to breathe!" His father shouted at his sister.

''I saw Uncle do it before. Why can't I do it?'' His sister replied defensively, lowering her head.

''Because that is a dangerous and potentially harmful action, and every situation is different, and you need to listen and understand before taking action," his father explained sternly, realising the severity of the situation.

''Son, stand up slowly if you can.''

His father assisted him in standing up by supporting his body.

He slowly started to regain his balance, feeling a mix of pain and relief.

''Son, I know you are eager to learn, but like I told you before, you need to learn to understand your surroundings first before you take action. Don't just rush forward without thinking.''

He slowly picked up the wooden sword from the ground and steadied himself, ready to begin.

''Son, one more thing. It's not about what your opponent 'is doing'; it's about what your opponent 'will do' and how you react to it. Remember that anticipation and adaptability are key in any battle.''

His father took a few steps back, readied his sword, and shouted.

''NOW!''

He slowly walked towards his father, pointing his sword. He moved forward, and his speed gradually rose. Before he reached his father, he swung his sword with all his strength onto the ground.

The impact on the ground caused a sudden dusting of dirt in the air, causing his father to stumble back. Taking advantage of the momentary distraction, he swiftly tightened his grip on the sword and lunged forward, aiming for his father's exposed side.

Surprisingly, his father took a step forward and deflected his sword with ease, effortlessly parrying the attack. The force of the parry sent a jolt up his arm, causing him to momentarily lose his balance. Regaining his composure, he quickly adjusted his stance and prepared for his father's counterattack.

The next thing he saw was his father's elbow propelled onto his face, surprising him. He quickly shut his eyes.

''Son, never take your eyes off your opponent!''