Chapter one; An open door

I look at myself one last time in the mirror, brushing my hand through my messy hair. It's not like I bloody cared about how I looked but I was nervous so I guess it's a bad habit. "Newt come on you'll be late on your first day if you don't hurry!" my mother called and I rolled my eyes I had more than time enough. I'm sure I would even be too early but I decided to make her happy, that's all I really cared about since my...accident. So I grabbed my books and my new novel and went downstairs. She smiles at me as I enter the kitchen and I force one back. "I guess you don't want breakfast?" she asks and I shake my head. I never ate breakfast I just didn't like a full stomach in the morning. "so are you going to be alright Newt ? I mean..." she trailed of, eyeing my leg and I knew where she was going so I cut her of. "I'm alright mum I'm gonna go and look around the school for a bit. find my classes and stuff." she nodded at me and I kissed her cheek before taking my bag and keys to my car and walking out the door. I had an old chevy truck but I loved it to bits.  I smiled as the engine came to life and I backed out of the driveway.

I got to school 40 minutes early so I decided to just go find the library and sit there for a while, knowing it would be the only room open at this time.  I didn't mind though, I loved to read it gave me an escape from reality and that's something I needed. The woman behind the desk at the library looked at me in surprise as I entered the room. she must not be used to students being this early. she smiled at me and I gave her a wave. "you new here?" she asked and I nod at her. "I figured. there's not a single student at this school that comes here at this time." I chuckled nervously scratching the back of my neck. "well do you mind if I sit here and read for a while?" I ask and she laughs lightly. "of course not dear go ahead." I nod my thanks at her and sit down at a table near the window. The parking lot is almost empty except for a few cars which I assume are from the teachers. I take out my book and open it letting myself enter another world.

A tap on my shoulder startles me and I jump in my seat. the Liberian smiles at me with an apologetic look on her face. "I'm sorry love, you seemed so caught up in that book of yours I thought I might warn you lessons start in about 15 minutes." I look outside and see the parking lot filled with cars and students. "Oh thanks" I say awkwardly and I gather my things as she walks of. The loud noise of a motor cycle makes me look out the window and I shake my head at how fast he is driving through the mass of people. the motor comes to a stop and the guy gets off taking of his helmet I feel my mouth drop to the floor. here's the thing. I'm gay. and for the past 3 years, ever since I came out I've been bullied because of it. I swore to myself I would lock myself back in the closet when I came here but staring at the boy outside I just realized that might not be as easy as I thought it would be.

My thoughts come to an abrupt stop when a girl crashes into him and wraps her arms around his neck. they start making out violently and I force myself to look away and walk out of the library. I take out my schedule and read it carefully, my first class is history and I smile. that's not a bad way to start a monday morning. I loved History.
I gasp as I bump into someone, stumbling back a bit. "I'm sorry!" I say quickly taking a step back my eyes widening in fear. "Hey relax shank it's fine. you new here ?" I nod quickly taking in the guy before me. he is asian looking and really handsome 'damit Newt stop it.' I shake my head . "yeah I'm Newt" I say holding out my hand. he shakes my hand "Minho I rule this place greenie." I look at him confused and he burst out laughing. "That's a joke. I wish though but nah this isn't my kingdom." Minho says throwing an arm around my shoulder and turning me around towards the entrance of the school. the boy I saw earlier walks through his leather jacket thrown over his shoulder. the white shirt hugging his chest in all the right places. I catch myself just in time to stop myself from drooling. "It's his kingdom." Minho says and I am suddenly aware of how dry my mouth is. "If I was you I'd stay out of his way greenie. he has a bad reputation around here, his name is Thomas. doesn't talk much but he is bad luck shank." I nod absently and he points to a second guy trailing behind  the boy named Thomas. "That's Gally the school bully. a pain in the ass and a dick so I'd watch out for him to." I nod again watching as they make their way through the crowd. they easily make their way through as the crowd clearly avoids them. "And then there's Teresa, you know, the popular chick. Hot as fuck but she is messing around with Thomas so she's off limits man." I chuckle "she's not my type" I say before I can stop myself and Minho looks at me in shock. "What?! if that isn't your type then please tell me what is?" I flush bright red. and  Minho raises an eyebrow. "you're gay?" he asks and I look at him fearfully stepping out of his embrace and backing away. "Hey Newt seriously dude it's fine I don't have a problem with it. I'm bi." Minho says and I feel so relieved I almost want to cry. He smiles  at me and I smile back. "Please don't tell anyone." I say and he nods "sure shank don't worry about it, I got your back." I chuckle and he leads me through the crowd. "what's your first class?" he asks and I look down at my paper again. "History." I say and he smiles. "Great me too let's go!" I'm relieved at his words knowing I already have someone to sit with in class. "so really if you're...you know, into guys" he pauses and I look around checking to see if anyone is listening but it's clear. "what is your type then?" he asks and I raise my eyebrow at him. I think for a second licking my lips in thought. "I'm not sure I like guys who are taller than me and have dark hair. I don't like blond. not too skinny not to fat a bit muscle." he nods at me smiling. "what?" I ask and he chuckles "nothing man"

we enter the class room just in time as the bell rings and the teacher smiles at me. "you must be Newt. welcome to Wicked I'm mrs. Arons and I will be giving you history this year." She smiles at me before turning to the class. Minho pats my back and goes to sit at his desk and I'm sad to see there is no place available next to him. "Newt you can go sit next to Thomas in the back." I look at her with wide eyes and then at the back of the class. Thomas looks me dead in the eye his chocolate brown eyes scanning me curiously as I walk up to him. He smirks at me and I look down my cheeks heating. just my luck.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reading guys! I hope you enjoyed the first chapter. let me know what you think and I'll update as soon as I can :) Do you want me to stay in Newt's POV or shall I switch between Newt and Thomas ?