Chapter 2: Footsteps of Destiny

As the footsteps of Lila and the voice of the Crystal echoed in the cave, Lila couldn't shake the feeling that there was something more to the Crystal, besides obviously being an object of great power and importance.

Questions swirled in her mind. Could it be a powerful mage, bound to a crystalline form? She heard about mages and the ways of the arcane from Maya before but she never witnessed any of them for herself. This was the first time she even saw magic. Was this even possible with magic? Or maybe it was the village god they prayed to? Only God would be able to do this, right?

As they made their way towards the exit, she kept listening attentively to Crystal's playful chatter.

Although she sometimes couldn't make sense of what it was saying. "Surely this crystal can't be God," Lila assured herself, "God wouldn't talk like this."

"As a matter of fact, God could talk like this if it wanted to," Crystal suddenly pointed out.

Before Lila even had a chance to be surprised, Crystal continued "Yes I can read your mind too. When we first made contact, we formed a link lassie. No takebacks though, got it?"
With a puzzled look, she slowly opened her mouth but shut it back just as quickly. She was too stunned to say anything about this reveal.
One single detail got her attention though.

After contemplating for a while, Lila finally asked with a shocked look on her face: "God is real?!"

Crystal was genuinely shocked after hearing what this girl just asked. Out of all the questions she could've asked, she asked the most obvious one.

Deciding to entertain itself with her question, "Who knows kiddo? Maybe it is, maybe it is not. I ain't all knowin' y'know?" Crystal said. "And also, you just learned that you formed a bond with a talking crystal, which can also read your mind but that's the question you ask? Do I look like a priest from there?"

Lila could almost taste the amusement the Crystal had by the tone of its voice. If it had a mouth, it would probably be giving a wide grin at the moment.

"And before you ask," the Crystal added, "I don't have a name. Just call me Crystal, no need for formalities or pet names."

"Okay Crystal, got it. Before anything else, can we get out already? It's late and I don't want to make others worry too much. Besides, I just can't wait to show you to everyone! Oh, you must see the look on Elias' face when we get back. Also, you can see right?" She asked, full of excitement.

"Yes, I am capable of that ability. Anyway, let's go, my dear, lead the way."

Lila and Crystal steadily made their way to the exit. Having exited the cave, moonlight shone on Lila's pale skin whereas the light of the Crystal seemingly dimmed upon leaving the cave, turning into a faint blue hue instead of the bright blue color it used to be.

Staying in a damp cave made Lila appreciate the fresh air of the mountain. Taking a deep breath, "Aaaah finally. Nothing beats fresh mountain air, right Crystal?" she said, looking at Crystal as if she waited for approval.

With not-so-hidden annoyance, "I don't breathe Lila. I am a crystal after all. Just because I can see doesn't mean I am fully capable of other humanly functions," answered Crystal, openly mocking Lila for her question.

If it had any eyes, they would probably be rolling, or so Lila thought.
"Wha... Why are you being mean Crystal it was just a ques..."

Right before Lila could object to Crystal's obvious remark on her intelligence, Crystal hushed her. "For now, think about what you want to say, and don't make any noise. I sense people approaching."

"Slowly make your way to those bushes over there and hide," it continued with a worried tone.

As if she was about to object to her parents, Lila crossed her arms and raised her eyebrows,
"They could be my people too Crystal," Lila thought to herself, "They must have been worried sick and came here to search for me." She concluded.