𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓘

(CHAPTER ONE)

(CHAPTER ONE)

"I BELIEVE THE DRESS SHOULD BE TIGHTER." NYATHERA LONGDALE SAYS AS SHE OBSERVES THE FITTING OF HER eldest granddaughter alongside Caris Longdale who stands next to her. Nyathera looks at Caris. "Don't you think it should be tighter?" She asks.

Caris lets out a hum. "To be honest with you mother, I don't think the knots will be let loose anytime soon." The Longdale family Imp, Zox ignores them both as she strings the ends of Brithas dress. Britha pays them no mind as she numbly observes herself in the mirror. She notices the ends of her hair meet her shoulder.

my hair is getting longer. She mused to herself. Zox moves to put on her earrings when Britha lightly stops her.

"Don't worry Zox, I can handle this small thing." Her voice is void of emotion but her eyes show a hint of care. Zox nods obediantly and moves on to her hair. "How would you like me to present your hair this time?" Before Britha could speak Nyathera does it for her.

"I think you should let it be tied into a cute little cornrows. Those were always my go to hairstyles for events." Caris hums next her.

"Maybe we can have her go natural this time. Let her hair breath."

"That too but I don't want it all out just now. Her hair has grown big what happens if it gets stuck on a tree branch?"

"Now how on heavens would that even happen?" Britha rolls her eyes as her grandmother and step mother go back and forth on how her hair should be handled. Britha didn't mind which hairstyle to go to. But she would be lying if she said she wouldn't be content with just her usual puffs she wears during the day.

Zox lets out a cough to capture the attention of the two women. "To be fair, I was only asking Ms Britha here." Nyathera purses her lips at the comment. Caris chuckles lightly.

"Oh Zox that tongue of yours is something." Zox as she cannot lie, simply shrugs and goes back to attending Britha.

"Well do whatever you care too. As I am not attending the palace tonight who cares what an elderly woman like me thinks." Nyathera a woman for dramatics  grabs a glass of wine from the table. Caris looks at her curiously.

"Is that your only glass for the night?" Nyathera looks offended. She purses her lips at the sour taste of the cranberry wine seeping through her tongue.

"What do you take me for, an elderly drunk?"

"Now you know that is not what she meant Grandmother." Britha deadpans, still paying them no mind. Zox continues to touch up her hair.

"And to answer your question step mother but thats her fourth and counting wine shes had for the night." Britha admits. Nyathera points a finger at her.

"Why thats where your wrong! Not for the night."

"I'm including the times during lunch." Caris chuckles at the exchange.