𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓥𝓘𝓘

(CHAPTER SEVEN)

(CHAPTER SEVEN)

WHEN BRITHA HAD GOTTEN BACK TO THE MANOR, SHE WAS SURPRISED TO SEE HER FATHER WAITING FOR HER WITH TWO CUPS OF ROSEMARY TEA IN HAND. He settled comfortably on the living room couch. He wore a pair of rimless framed glasses while reading what looked like a novel. Always the curious one, Britha cleared her throat to get his attention. Ember lowers the book once he sees his daughter in front of him.

"Surprised to see me down here late after dawn?" He could guess that's what she was wondering by the look on her face. Britha merely shrugs and makes her way over to him. She plops by beside him on an armchair.

"There seems to be something on your mind, cherish." Britha lets out a low whistle. "It's simply been a day."

"Right at that. You should have Zox prepare a warm bath for you before bed. It will relax the pain in your muscles and light scars."

"Don't really need a bath for that." She mumbles to herself. Or at least she thought she did until her father looked back at her.

"Hm?"

"Just blabbering to myself." She reaches over to grab the tea for herself. "Are these new?" She observed the green leprechaun shaped design the tea cups possessed.

"Caris spent a good amount of time in the garden making them. I think they are quite lovely. Gives a lot of personality. Don't you think so?" Britha nodded, taking a sip she sighed in relief once the warmth met her body. Ember chuckles to himself.

"What novel were you reading If you don't mind me asking?" Ember stares at the book in his hand.

"It's an old classic. Called The Stranger by Albert Camu." He purses his lips, "But so far I am not a fan. I picked it up because it's been sitting on the shelves for ages and had nothing to read."

He smiles. "In fact, it was one of your mothers books." Britha raises her eyebrows at that.

"Really?"

"She loved to read. She could spend hours holed up, reading. From novels to menus to encyclopedias. Anything she can flip the page to." Britha didn't want him to stop. Ember rarely talked about her late mother. This was a side of him she never saw.

"You received that sense of curiosity from her. Always willing to learn something new." Britha hesitated before asking the question she so desperately wanted him to confirm.

"Do you...do you miss her?" She didn't meet his eyes when she asked but she was sure she heard his breath hitch for just a moment.

"Of course, I miss her everyday." Her heart broke, the pain in his voice even having to utter that was painful. But she knew that was probably the only time they were gonna talk about her. After that he was sure to pretend like nothing happened. It frustrated her greatly.