Chapter six

April 11th 1912

April 11th 1912

"She is the largest moving object ever made by the hand of man in all history and our master shipbuilder, Mr. Andrews, here designed her from the keel plates up." Mr. Ismay remarked.

I felt an overwhelming sense of excitement surging through me of the nice words for my husband. " Well, I may have knocked her together, but the idea was Mr. Ismay's" he said humbly. Thomas was always one to give credit where credit was due.
"He envisioned a steamer so grand in scale and so luxurious in its appointments, that its supremacy would never be challenged. And here she is, willed into solid reality." Thomas exclaimed while banging on the table. I beamed at him and squeezed his thigh under the table to express my love and respect for his accomplishments and words.

He returned my smile and kissed me on the temple. I observed Rose lighting a cigarette in front of me. I could understand why she sought it. I was familiar with the yearning to escape reality. Not everybody is able to thrive in these times, especially us women. The men are usually seated and discussing business, which they later clarify in the most demeaning way imaginable as if we are idiots who aren't educated.

"You know I don't like that, Rose" Ruth reacted while giving a disapproving glare. Rose only gazed at her as she exhaled the smoke. However, her antics came to an abrupt end when Cal took away her cigarette and planted it in the ashtray in the center of the table, saying "she knows". I gave Thomas a look, which he mirrored. Having met Rose a few times before, we were both somewhat protective of her.

"We will both have the lamb. Rare, with very little mint sauce." Cal said to the waiter whom was on his left. "You like lamb, right, sweet pea?" He addressed Rose. Still, he only received a snarky look in return as opposed to a reply.

"You gonna cut her meat for her, too, there Cal?" Molly joked after having seen the interaction between them. I gave her a smile "Hey, uh, who thought of the name Titanic? Was it you Bruce" she questioned in an effort to break the unpleasant silence that had descended upon the group.

"Well, yes, actually. I wanted to convey sheer size, and size means stability, luxury, and above all, strength." Mr. Ismay stated. He clearly had tremendous admiration for both himself and the ship, as you could tell.

"Do you know of Dr. Freud, Mr. Ismay? His ideas about the male preoccupation with size might be of particular interest to you" Rose added. While Thomas and I were grinning and barely containing our amusement at what just occurred, I could see Molly nodding in agreement.

"What's gotten into you?" Ruth whispered to her daughter with disapproval.

Rose responded with an "Excuse me" before standing up and leaving the dining area.

Although I could hear Mr. Ismay's, Ruth, Cal and Molly conversing, I didn't bother trying to listen. Instead I turned to Thomas. "Well, that was something" I muttered with a grin. "Indeed, it was." He murmured as he turned to face me. He grinned a little as well as glancing around the table, "I almost thought it was gonna escalate into something more".

Thomas turned back to me while leaning in closer, a playful glint in his eyes. "You know," he whispered with a hint of mischief, "I can't decide which is more enchanting—the exquisite food or the beautiful woman sitting next to me."

I blushed, unable to suppress my smile at his charming remark. "Oh, you flatterer," I replied, giving his hand a gentle squeeze. "I think you're biased, but I'll take the compliment."
Our conversation continued to flow effortlessly, amidst the soft chatter and laughter of those around us.